Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wilted Spinach, Red Onions cooked in Red Wine, Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts



This is my favorite way to eat spinach. The traditional Italian dish is sautéed in olive oil and is much higher in fat than my version. Red wine adds flavor as well as reducing the fat. The other items in the recipe are the same as the traditional recipe.

Wilted Spinach, Red Onions cooked in Red Wine, Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts
Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup dry red wine (I used Amarone)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons golden raisins
6 cups raw baby spinach
½ tablespoon pine nuts

Directions:

Combine the onion, red wine, pepper flakes, and raisins and cook until the red onions are soft. If the pan gets dry add a little more red wine. When the onions are soft add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 30 seconds.

To serve top this spinach dish it is best served with a sprinkling of pine nuts. Best eaten hot.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 246.25
Calories From Fat (13%) - 31.95

Total Fat - 3.82g
Saturated Fat - 0.36g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 150.82mg
Potassium - 1315.1mg
Total Carbohydrates - 29.32g
Fiber - 5.82g
Sugar - 12.37g
Protein - 7.06g

Comments:

This recipe has a ton of flavor. It does have a little heat from the red pepper flakes. If you aren’t a fan of heat reduce the pepper flakes or add them at the end and less heat will come through.

I have served this over polenta, on crostini or as I had it tonight, straight up. It would also be good with pasta, or on pizza.

This dish is high in potassium (1315 mg), vitamin A (16,882 IU), calcium (208 mg), folate (352 mcg), and vitamin K (872 mcg) to name a few. Don’t you just love a veggie side dish so packed with nutrition?

4 comments:

  1. Looks very good. I just threw some potatoes in the oven for twice baked potatoes from Local Bounty. Thinking black beans and whole grain bread to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra,

    I can't wait to hear about the twice baked potatoes. Those are one of my favorites, which is why I don't make them too often... too tempting for me to resist.

    I have shitake mushroom and barley soup on now.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just cooking up a storm today! I love it.

    This looks good. The onions cooked in wine reminds me of a tomato marmalade I used to make; it was red onions sauted olive oil, deglazed with red wine and mixed into tomato paste w/ salt and pepper. Sounds kind of sickly, but it was really good as a condiment on sandwiches...but then again I like weird stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Yes I have spent too much time in the kitchen today. I think I am catching up from being out of the house most of this week. I was having kitchen withdrawal.

    The marmalade sounds good to me. That would be perfect on a sandwich. But, you and I seem to like the same type of recipes.

    I was just writing up the shitake and barley soup we had with dinner when I saw your comment.

    What did you do make for dinner tonight?

    BTW, I loved the pics today. So cute that the cat and bunny were such good friends.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails