Friday, October 23, 2009

Avocado and Edamame Appetizer



Our appetizer this evening is another variation of guacamole similar to the one I made earlier this week only more casual. Tonight I added edamame in place of the cucumber I used earlier this week. Edamame adds protein to the dish. Hot crushed peppers were added for heat and to reduce the need for added sodium. Lemon zest adds d-limonene for additional cancer protection. Dulse granules were used tonight to cut down on sodium. Here is what I did.

Avocado and Edamame Appetizer
Serves 2

Ingredients:

½ cup edamame, measured out of the pods
1 haas avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
1 lemon zested
½ lemon juiced
1 tablespoon hot crushed peppers
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch dulse granules
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced or grated
1 tomato, seeded and finely diced

Directions:

Crush the edamame with a fork or potato masher. I find the potato masher works faster. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and correct to suit your taste.

I served this with tortilla chips but warm pita chips would also be good.

Nutritional information (for dip only does not included tortilla chips):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 216.08
Calories From Fat (60%) - 130.54

Total Fat - 15.57g
Saturated Fat - 2.11g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 20.37mg
Potassium - 863.67mg
Total Carbohydrates - 17.27g
Fiber - 9.56g
Sugar - 3.52g
Protein -7g

Comments:

Of course I needed to use my presentation molds again tonight. They seem to be required when making something with avocado as a key ingredient. I used the square presentation mold to go with the square plates and angular chips.

Having tortilla chips was a bit of splurge tonight for us. We don’t have things like this very often so I wanted to run with scissors tonight. The strangest thing happened tonight when I had the first chip straight. They tasted incredibly salty to me and these are the low sodium version, which only have a little over 200mg of sodium per serving. I find it amazing how sensitive I have become to the taste of salt in such a short period of time.

The nutrition on this appetizer is more than reasonable. One serving contains 1300IU of vitamin A, 210mcg of folate, and 90mcg of vitamin K. Not bad for a quick appetizer.

5 comments:

  1. I love how you're working edamame into the recipes. This looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thanks. I get tired of eating edamame straight from the pod, with Asian food, or in salads so I decided to play around with incorporating them in unexpected places. The edamame worked surprisingly well with the avocado. I have another idea for what to do with them next, but it is really unorthodox ... in other words, I have no idea how it will work. Maybe I will try the idea in lunch tomorrow.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see...have a nice night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE endamame! This looks prefect.
    Can I just say that I think your blog is amazing and I'm so happy to have found it. I will be a follower beyond the MoFo.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeni,

    Thank you SO MUCH for the very nice compliment. I really appreciate it! Such a nice thing to hear first thing in the morning.

    Have a great weekend,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails