Thursday, October 8, 2009

Basil, Olive and Tomato Seitan Sausages



This sausage is very close to the one we made yesterday at Sue’s house. I roughly jotted down what we did yesterday and decided to make a similar version today for my hubby.

In this recipe I substituted the water for canned tomatoes that I blitzed in the blender until liquid. To increase the tomato flavor I added a few sun-dried tomatoes. Using the tomatoes and basil made me think of olives so I minced up a few of those and tossed them into the mix. These sausages will be great in any Italian flavored recipe. If you make a lot of Italian food, like I do. You should give this recipe a try.

Basil, Olive and Tomato Seitan Sausages
Makes 8 sausages

Ingredients:

14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes, pureed in the blender until completely smooth
2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
¼ cup fresh basil, finely minced
1-teaspoon oregano, dried
½ teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
1-teaspoon garlic powder
1-teaspoon onion powder
1-teaspoon thyme, dried
3 black olives, finely minced
4 sun dried tomatoes, finely minced
1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar (or wine vinegar)
1-tablespoon hot crushed pepper (wet hots)
Water or white wine necessary to moisten all the gluten (a quarter cup at most)

Directions:

Follow the directions in this post for making seitan sausages.

Nutritional Information (per sausage):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 215.26
Calories From Fat (8%) - 16.73

Total Fat - 1.88g
Saturated Fat - 0.35g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 291.17mg
Potassium - 277.59mg
Total Carbohydrates - 19.62g
Fiber - 3.07g
Sugar - 3.46g
Protein - 30.91g

Comments:

This recipe is loosely based on chicken sausage I used to by that had basil and sun dried tomato. It is full of flavor and would be great on pizza, with pasta or on a roll with tomato sauce and peppers and onions.

On a related note I got a great email this morning from Sue that she and John really enjoyed the seitan yesterday and will be buying a pressure cooker to make their own seitan sausage. I was thrilled to hear this! I get so excited when someone embraces eating more meat free meals. Any reduction in the consumption of animal or animal products has to be better for the individual making the change. If I had a one wish it would be for all those I care about to be healthy and the consumption of less animal products is one sure way to get there. Sue and John, you both have no idea how happy I was to get the email this morning. You guys made my day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to buy a proper steamer insert and have a sausage-making weekend soon!

    Thanks for the recipes; I'm going to try my best to make them come out looking (and hopefully tasting) like yours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails