Saturday, October 3, 2009

Cucumber Salad Dressing




Tonight we went to see a foreign film with our friends Sue and John. Knowing this meant there was a good chance I wouldn’t make dinner tonight I opted to take the easy road and make a vegan version of a dressing recipe from “The Professional Chef”.

The original recipe called for sour cream but I used raw cashews since we had the tofu sour cream a couple of days ago. I used more lemon than the original recipe calls for, but I have a love affair with lemons.

I served this today for lunch on lettuce wraps that I filled with shredded cucumber, carrot and raw beet. I topped the lettuce wraps with this dressing and raw sunflower seeds. Delicious. This may be my new favorite way to eat salad. With the extra shredded veggies I made a big salad with the same dressing and seeds.

Cucumber Salad Dressing
Makes a little over ¾ cup – 14 tablespoons

Ingredients:

1 cucumber, peeled
¼ cup raw cashews
1 lemon, zested and juiced
½ teaspoon dill weed, dried
½ teaspoon amber agave
1 pinch kosher salt
1 pinch white pepper

Directions:

Place everything in your blender and process until completely smooth. The dressing will get firmer as it chills.

Nutritional Information (per tablespoon):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 13.56
Calories From Fat (48%) - 6.56

Total Fat - 0.78g
Saturated Fat - 0.14g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 20.97mg
Potassium - 48.77mg
Total Carbohydrates - 1.48g
Fiber - 0.29g
Sugar - 0.53g
Protein - 0.47g

Comments:

Nice acidic lemony dressing that can be used in so many ways. If you are a fan of lemons you will enjoy this dressing. It is rich and creamy while still being acidic.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds divine; I love the idea of blending the cucumber right up with it.

    The wraps sound fantastic...I think I know what I'll be taking for lunch next week.

    Hope you had fun at the movies... I love foreign films, what country was it from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    It was a French film that was filmed in Winston-Salem, NC. The main character was from Senegal and even though it was in English you needed subtitles to understand what was happening. Like all foreign films it had a very different feel.

    We had dinner out after the movie and our friends (not vegetarian) were very kind and made reservations at a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. My husband is in his office now getting the photos out of his phone so I can blog about it tomorrow. Dinner was quite good you would have loved it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see...have a good night! Talk to you tomorrow (probably).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Before I forget please let me know how the mid-terms went. If you would rather send me an email.

    talk to you tomorrow if you have time,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'll have time...I just don't want to take up all your time! My mid-terms went fine...I think I'll pass: not stellar, but passing. ;)

    a domani

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm. i rarely ever make salad dressing with vegetables (usually just condiments), but yum!! sounds like it would make it super thick and creamy, especially with the cashews added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Goodbye Solo" is in my Netflix queue. Looking forward to your pics from Great Sage. I haven't been there in a couple years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shenandoah Vegan,

    Wow, you are good. We did see "Goodbye Solo" last night. When you see it if you figure out why the old man did what he did let me know.

    I should have the Great Sage photos up soon. Everyone enjoyed it last night both the vegans and omnivores.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails