Thursday, October 29, 2009

Asparagus topped with Pineapple Salsa made with Pomegranate Molasses



If you have been reading my blog for a while you know we have a favorite local restaurant that just happens to be in our neighborhood, we are so lucky. The chef is a sweetheart and always volunteers to make special low fat vegan meals just for us, but that is such an imposition I hate to let him do that since there are things we can eat on the menu. One of our favorite items is the asparagus with pineapple salsa with pomegranate molasses, which I posted here. Both the hubby and I love this dish. Tonight I decided to make my own version of the dish.

I could have asked the chef what was in his version but that would take the fun out of experimenting. Instead I turned to “The Professional Chef” since I remembered they had a recipe for a pineapple salsa on fish. I substituted some of the lime juice for pomegranate molasses as I assume Ian did. My pomegranate molasses is crazy thick so I thinned it out with a little lemon juice. I added thin radish matchsticks, because I could (no other reason). Both the version in the cookbook and at the restaurant had a fresh herb (basil in the book), which I didn’t have, so I left it out. Here is what I did.

Asparagus topped with Pineapple Salsa made with Pomegranate Molasses
Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 pound of asparagus, tough ends removed
1 inch slice of fresh pineapple (about ½ cup when diced)
¼ red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
6 radishes, trimmed and cup into fine julienne
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
kosher salt, to taste
black pepper, freshly ground, to taste

Directions:

Cook the asparagus until tender crisp and set aside. The original recipe grilled the asparagus, however I steamed them instead.

Grill the pineapple until there is a little char on each side, which will take approximately 2 minutes. Then set the pineapple aside until cool enough to handle. When cool cut into approximately ½ inch dice or larger (removing the core).

Combine the pineapple, onion, jalapeno, radish, pomegranate molasses and lemon juice and thoroughly combine.

Top the asparagus with the pineapple salsa and serve warm or cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 193.3
Calories From Fat (2%) - 2.97

Total Fat - 0.4g
Saturated Fat - 0.1g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 8.14mg
Potassium - 543.33mg
Total Carbohydrates - 46.7g
Fiber - 5.92g
Sugar - 26.88g
Protein - 5.54g

Comments:

Both the hubby and I thought this was very close to Ian’s version. Including the fresh basil would definitely have made it better. I also think there may be a little fresh minced ginger in the restaurant version. Not much ginger, just a hint (maybe a quarter teaspoon), which I am going to try next time. Overall, I was quite pleased with how this turned out and we will be having this again soon. It is a very quick and flavorful vegetable dish.

I served this tonight with a steam/baked seitan cutlet and that was dinner. We finished our meal with a green tea, fresh ginger and vitamin C nightcap followed by a green drink chaser and that was it for us tonight.

I hope everyone has a great evening. Tomorrow I will post seitan recipes. With my headache today I didn’t get as much accomplished, as I intended. Oh well, stuff happens. Tomorrow is another day.

6 comments:

  1. Getting to Baltimore is a huge PITA for me, but will you ever divulge the name of Ian's restaurant? I can understand wanting to keep a hidden gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenandoah,

    The only reason I don't give the name is that the restaurant isn't vegetarian, let alone vegan. We are only able to know what to order because I know the menu so well, and have asked tons of questions. Most of his food is very meat centered. Many of the dishes contain his house made veal demi glace which you wouldn't know without many questions. His food is absolutely fabulous, but not generally vegan friendly. That is why I don't like it when he wants to make special food for us. I know what a pain that is, and his kitchen is almost always swamped.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great combination for the asparagus. I think I'll have to try some pomegranate molasses...

    I've also been meaning to ask you what brand/kind of green tea do you use? Do you have one to recommend? Or are they all pretty much equal. I've been drinking green tea at work for the last couple of weeks (inspired by you) and I wanted to buy some to have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    You should try this, I don't think you will be disappointed. If you have limes in the house substitute that for the pomegranate molassses. Balsamic vinegar would also be a good substitute.

    We drink matcha green tea because it is supposed to be higher in EGCG. I buy it at Costco because it is from the big Japanese manufacturer (ITO EN) and the price is good. When I run out of that I also have Twinings Green in the house for those that don't like the big flavor of the matcha. If you have any other questions let me know. I tend to get a little obsessed about green tea and didn't want to give you information overload.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. A company called Traditional Medicinals has an organic green tea that I think I might try. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    I have had a number of Traditional Medicinals teas in the past and they have been good. In addition to looking for matcha, the Japanese green tea is said to be higher in EGCG than the Chinese, so check for that when you are buying.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails