Thursday, October 1, 2009

Seitan Cutlets with Middle Eastern Bulgur and Wilted Spinach




Yesterday was hectic at our house. I had cooking class and needed to run by Costco. Then I met my friend Sue and we went to two Indian markets and one international market. It was a very full day, but a heck of a lot of fun.

I will write another post about all the great stuff I bought and will include recipes for how to use the items. I bought fresh curry leaves and was very excited about that. It even surprises me the things that make me happy. My husband just shakes his head and keeps going.

However, I was a little unfocused yesterday. My husband decided he was going to work late while I went to cooking class. I didn’t have two different meals to send him for lunch and dinner so I told him I would make dinner and then drop that at his office before I went to Costco. The meal below is what I made. However, since I left it in the refrigerator when I went out he didn’t have this for dinner last night. Sometimes I can be so scattered.

So this is what Dan is having for lunch today. He still thinks I should call the blog “this is what Dan eats”. But he has a lot of silly thoughts. His favorite phrase (and this is a joke) is that “it is all about him”. That idea goes along with the blog name change he thinks appropriate. As you can see my husband is very entertaining, or at least he thinks he is. But I love him so I overlook “his humor”. He really is the greatest guy, but don’t tell him I said that. He doesn’t need any additional encouragement.

I had the seitan cutlets in the freezer from the Bobbies Seitan I made about a week ago. Bulgur is something we both enjoy. I added the turmeric for its cancer fighting ability. According to "Anticancer" the turmeric is more bioavailable when it is sautéed in oil with black pepper, so I did that as well. Cinnamon, coriander, apricots and almonds were included since they are typical in Middle Eastern cuisine. Onion and bay leaf were included for aromatics because I was using water and not vegetable stock. Spinach seemed appropriate and we needed a vegetable.

This is a good cool weather meal. It is very filling and what I consider a healthy version of comfort food.

Seitan Cutlets with Middle Eastern Bulgur and Wilted Spinach
Serves 3

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon canola oil
¼ - ½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon coriander seed
½ yellow onion, finely diced
1 cup bulgur
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
10 Turkish apricots, finely diced
3 steam/baked seitan cutlets
6 cups baby spinach
2 tablespoons water, or as needed
1 pinch of kosher salt
2 tablespoons sliced almonds

Directions:

Sauté the turmeric, pepper, salt, cinnamon, coriander and onion for a few minutes over medium high heat in a pan with a lid. Add the bulgur, water, bay leave and apricots and bring the water to a boil and cover the pan and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the water has been absorbed (about 15 minutes).

Reheat the cutlets in the microwave or in a cast iron skillet with a lightly wiped with oil. Cook until the cutlets are heated through.

Cook the spinach in a pan over high heat. Add a few tablespoons of water and a pinch of salt to and move the spinach around while it cooks. When it starts to wilt it was happen quickly. I turn off the heat as soon as I notice it is beginning to wilt so the spinach is lightly wilted but still retains a little body and hopefully more nutrition.

To serve I place the seitan on top the spinach and serve the bulgur with the almonds on top.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 460.83
Calories From Fat (14%) - 66.33

Total Fat - 7.69g
Saturated Fat - 0.86g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 836.62mg
Potassium - 962.13mg
Total Carbohydrates - 61.86g
Fiber - 13.96g
Sugar - 5.99g
Protein - 41.34g

Comments:

This is my favorite type of cool weather food. It reminds me of the meat and potatoes meals I had growing up but without the saturated fat and cholesterol. Sometimes seitan is the protein necessary for the “center” of the plate.

I also love the nutrition of this meal. It contains over 5800 IU’s of vitamin A, almost 200 mg’s of calcium, over 200 mcg’s of folate, almost 300 mcg’s of vitamin K, and 28 mcg’s of selenium to name a few.

We both love a meal like this that is both comforting and healthy.

5 comments:

  1. Yum, as usual. It sounds great with all the lovely spices and cinnamon. Dan is a pretty lucky guy. I would love to use cinnamon in my cooking, but picky husband doesn't like it. :)

    I'm looking forward to seeing how you use the curry leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thanks! I will quote you to Dan. He has eaten my cooking so long I think he assumes everyone's wife makes things like this for dinner. He can be such a silly boy.

    Until I read your comment I had forgotten that John didn't like cinnamon. That is why you made a savory zucchini bread if I remember correctly.

    I was going through the CIA book earlier today and they don't have any recipes with curry leaves. That was quite depressing. The books I brought back from Indian definitely use them so I need to pull those out. I will probably use some of the curry leaves for lunch tomorrow.

    You would love the markets we went to yesterday. They had some of the wildest stuff. I bough whole dried limes and lemons, pomegranate seed powder, date vinegar. Really great unusual things. I can't wait to play with all the "new stuff". One of the stores even had whole dried sumac berries. I had never seen that before. I will post everything I got later this week.

    Can't wait to see what you post tonight,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The markets sound amazing, what a fun way to spend some time with a friend. Exotic ingredients, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dans spot at your table is every vegans dream come true

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,

    That was very sweet of you to say.

    thanks!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails