Friday, October 2, 2009

Curry Powder




Today started on a funny note that resulted in my idea for dinner, curried ravioli stuffed with almond feta. Let me tell you how I ended up making curry powder today.

To say that I am not a morning person doesn’t give you an accurate picture of me in the morning. I am one of those people that doesn't mentally wake up until hours after I first open my eyes. Since giving up my 2 double shots of espresso to start the morning I move even slower than normal. I basically sleep walk through my morning.

It was darn cold this morning so I decided to make oatmeal. I grabbed the cinnamon and ginger to get those in the bowl first and something didn’t look quite right. You guessed it; I combined cinnamon and turmeric instead. After I noticed what I had done and washed the bowls I have been thinking of curry all day. I finally decided to make a vegan version of the curried pasta in “The Professional Chef”.

Here is the recipe for curry powder I will be using tonight in my ravioli dough.

Curry Powder
Makes about 1 ounce

Ingredients:

¾ ounce cumin seeds
¼ ounce coriander seeds
1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
4 small dried chilies
1 tablespoon cinnamon, ground
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon ginger, ground

Directions:

Place cumin, coriander, mustard and chilies in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat until the spices begin to lightly brown, or you can smell them.

Remove the spices from the heat and allow to cool. If you want a mild curry powder break the chilies in half and shake out the seeds. For a hotter curry leave the seeds in the chilies. Place all the toasted spices in a spice ground (or coffee mill) and process until they are fine. Combine the ground toasted spice with the cinnamon, turmeric and ginger. Store in a closed container.

Nutritional information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 165.99
Calories From Fat (39%) - 65.56

Total Fat - 7.83g
Saturated Fat - 0.71g
Cholesterol- 0mg
Sodium - 42.69mg
Potassium - 735mg
Total Carbohydrates - 26.52g
Fiber - 11.58g
Sugar - 1.25g
Protein - 6.52g

Comments:

The beauty of making your own spice mixes is that you can change the proportions to suit your taste. I like to leave some of the seeds in the chilies to give the curry a little more “zip”.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh all I need is a spice grinder and I'm on my way. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ordinary,

    I bought a little coffee grinder that I use just for spices and flaxseeds. It works great for the price.

    I hope you enjoy the curry recipe. I used my curry tonight for kale chips in the dehyrator.

    have a great evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails