Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tofu Sour Cream - revised to reduce fat and salt



This is one of my “foundation” recipes. These are the recipes that are parts of other recipes that I use over and over again.

Since we have been eating less fat I found that my original tofu sour cream was beginning to taste too fatty. The same thing happened with the salt level. My revised recipe cuts both the oil and salt in half. If you have been successful in reducing your fat and salt levels you may want to give this revised recipe a try. Otherwise I would suggest that you continue to use the original recipe for tofu sour cream.

Tofu Sour Cream - revised to reduce fat and salt
Makes 28 tablespoons

Ingredients:

12.3 ounces of low fat silken tofu
1 tablespoon of canola oil
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon amber agave
¼ teapoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel

Directions:

Combine everything in a blender or food processor and process until completely combined. Remove to a covered container and refrigerate until needed. The sour cream will thicken as it chills. I find this lasts in for a week if stored in the coldest part of your refrigerator.

Nutritional information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 9.41
Calories From Fat (57%) - 5.32

Total Fat - 0.6g
Saturated Fat - 0.05g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 27.43mg
Potassium - 9.05mg
Total Carbohydrates - 0.23g
Fiber - 0.03g
Sugar - 0.08g
Protein - 0.79g

Comments:

It is odd to me how my tastes have changed in a matter of a few months. The last time I made the original recipe of tofu sour cream it seemed both too fatty and too salty. Isn’t it amazing how our bodies adapt and change with the fuel we give them?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is the first time I heard about tofu sour cream! It looks and sounds so good and I can't wait to make it. This reduce fat and salt version sounds very interesting, YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    Tofu sour cream is a staple at my house. I put it on many of my soups.

    This is very simple to make. I would say start with this version since you can add a little more salt and oil if you think it needs it. The original recipe is also on the blog. Even my omni parents will eat this without complaint.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails