Saturday, October 24, 2009

Warm Cabbage and Apple Slaw with Carrot and Golden Raisin



This dish is my lightened variation of a dish we learned in cooking class this past week. The original dish had bacon and added oil which I eliminated. I considered adding a touch of liquid smoke to this recipe but decided I wanted a cleaner taste.

Cruciferous vegetables are some of my favorites because they are cancer-fighting powerhouses. I try to serve them at least 4 times a week. Remember that cruciferous vegetables are more nutritious if lightly cooked.

You can alter this recipe by adding thinly sliced fennel bulb, celery, celery root or parsnip. Sliced dried apricots or figs would also be good in this dish if you didn’t want to use the raisins.

Here is the recipe that I made tonight.

Warm Cabbage and Apple Slaw with Carrot and Golden Raisin
Serves 4

Ingredients:

½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup water
3 carrots, julienned
3 apples, cut into quarters and very thinly sliced
8 cups green cabbage, finely julienned
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons fennel seeds, toasted
2/3 cup golden raisins
kosher salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Sauce the onion in the water until tender. Then add the carrot, apple, cabbage, vinegar, fennel seeds and raisins and cook until the vegetables are the texture you want. Taste the slaw for salt and pepper and adjust to suit your taste.

This is best served a little warm or at room temperature.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 199.18
Calories From Fat (3%) - 6.2

Total Fat - 0.74g
Saturated Fat - 0.15g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 149.93mg
Potassium - 788.58mg
Total Carbohydrates - 49.51g
Fiber - 9.06g
Sugar - 32.6g
Protein - 4.26g

Comments:

This dish is difficult to describe. There is a nice balance of tart and sweet flavors, agro dolce as the Italians call it. I found the dish was best when the cabbage still retained a little body and crunch.

My husband is calling this a nice fall dish. Heating the salad changes its character so that it doesn’t really resemble a light raw cole slaw. This dish flew off the table tonight. I think was slightly more popular than the potato cakes. However, the potato cakes worked really well with this slaw for dinner tonight. I served a quarter of this slaw with two potato cakes tonight and both my husband and I were really full. I had initially planned to add a raw salad to dinner but I am glad I didn’t because we would have had leftover slaw.

The warm slaw had the highest nutrition on the plate tonight. Each serving contained over 10,300IU of vitamin A, 73mg of vitamin C, 125mg of calcium, 88 mcg of folate, 145mcg of vitamin K, and 111mg of phosphorus.

I will be back tomorrow with more recipe ideas. Have a great evening everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails