Monday, October 26, 2009

Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips



Last week I made my first batch of kale chips and both my husband and I found them to be surprisingly addictive. The hubby shared some of his with the guys are work and from what I heard they all liked them, including one gentleman who does not like kale. Full of enthusiasm from the initial success I wanted to try salt and vinegar kale chips. Since I used to love salt and vinegar potato chips this made complete sense to me. I only made a few in case I was wrong. Big mistake. The salt and vinegar version is better than the plain. Here is what I did.

Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips
Makes 4 generous servings - about a cup each

Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale, stems removed and torn into large pieces
1 teaspoon malt vinegar
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 pinch dulse granules
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Place the kale pieces on a half sheet tray and sprinkle with malt vinegar and oil. Toss the kale so that all the greens are coated. Add the dulse granules and black pepper and toss to coat.

Place the kale in a single layer in the dehydrator and dry overnight. In the morning you will have crispy kale chips.

If you like salt and vinegar potato chips these are very similar only healthy.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 77.66
Calories From Fat (23%) - 17.84

Total Fat - 2.07g
Saturated Fat - 0.21g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 59.79mg
Potassium - 609.24mg
Total Carbohydrates - 13.65g
Fiber - 2.7g
Sugar - 0g
Protein - 4.43g

Comments:

This is my second attempt making kale chips and I think these are much better than the first batch and no more difficult. I think we are now officially obsessed with kale chips at my house. I may need to stop at the store for more kale before the weekend. Something tells me two batches of kale chips won’t last us all week.

One of the reasons I love these, other than the crunch and the taste is the nutrition. These little chips are packed with healthy antioxidants and phytonutrients. I increased the serving size this time to more closely approximate what we were actually eating at one time. Each serving of these chips contains over 20,600IU of vitamin A, 160 mg of vitamin C, 180mg calcium, and 1,090mcg of vitamin K.

12 comments:

  1. I wanna try this so bad but we don't have Kale here and I don't have a dehydrater :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthyrainbow,

    What great timing on your comment. I was just considering what else I could use to make other healthy chips. Expect to see those recipes soon.

    Also you don't absolutely need a dehydrator. You can use your oven set on a low temperature and get the same effect.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is it- I am getting kale today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore S&V potato chips (I'm a vinegar freak, I swear I could drink the stuff); it didn't occur to me to try this in the oven...I have to give this a try...I thought I was out of luck w/o a dehydrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debra,

    I don't think you will be disappointed. They are addictive. Both the hubby and I like these much more than either of us expected.

    Rose,

    I am a bit of a vinegar fiend myself. That must explain why we both like sauerkraut.

    Go to the first kale chip post and follow the link to the sweet potato chips. I made them two different ways (one batch in the oven and the other in the dehydrator). I assume the kale chips results would be similar to the sweet potato chips.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louis,

    Thanks. Happy to bring you some kale chips the next time we get together. Let me know if you are interested.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louis,

    That just made my afternoon! Expect kale chips in your future.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got my kale and it is all ready for tomorrow morning..can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been much for potato chips, but I am crazy about kale, chard and collard chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet,

    I am a bit of texture fiend. It was the crunchiness of chips I liked, but was never crazy about the fried aspect.

    The kale chips are perfect for us. My husband and I were talking about trying collard chips last night. I am happy to hear from you they work.

    Do you have any favorite flavorings for the green chips?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails