Friday, October 30, 2009

Apple and Leek "Sausage" Patties



Yesterday I asked for suggestions on seitan variations and Rose from Dandelion suggested apple and leek and that immediately sounded wonderful to me. I am so glad she suggested that combination because these patties are amazing! They may be my new favorite version of seitan (time will tell what the hubby thinks). These patties smelled amazing when they were baking. My entire kitchen smelled like fall. Here is what I did.

Apple and Leek "Sausage" Patties
Makes 9 patties

Ingredients:

1 Fuji apple, cored and very thinly julienned (approximately 1/2 cup)
4 inches of the white part of a leek, quartered lengthwise and then finely sliced (approximately ¾ cup) - rinse thoroughly after slicing to get off the grit that is standard with leeks
½ cup water to water sauté the apple and leek
2 cups of water
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger, powder
2 whole cloves
1 tablespoon amber agave
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce – vegan
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (approximately 1/3 of a nutmeg)
2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
2 cups vital wheat gluten

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Water sauté the apple and leek in the ½ cup of water until very soft and the water has evaporated.

Combine the 2 cups of water, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, agave, nutritional yeast, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in your blender. Puree until liquid until smooth.

Pour the liquid in a large bowl. Combine the sautéed veg and fruit and breadcrumbs with the liquid and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes so the breadcrumbs will get soft. Add the vital wheat gluten and knead to combine. A small percentage (approx 5% of the total) of the apples and leeks won’t stay in the dough.

Form the dough into ball and divide it into nine portions. Using your hands shape the dough into round patties and set aside.

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet (I used cast iron) with a little bit of oil from a mister or brushed onto the skillet. Sear the patties on both sides for a few minutes until they are brown and crisp. Removed the crisped patties to a large roasting pan or half sheet pan.

Add ½ cup water to the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Then rotate the pan, add another ½ cup of water and bake another 20 minutes. When you remove the pan from the oven the patties should be firm. If the patties are soft on the bottom you may have added too much water, or you oven wasn’t hot enough. If this happens place the pan back in the oven or remove the patties back to the pan you seared them in. Either method will work.

Seitan patties freeze really well. I cool them completely in the refrigerator and then wrap each patty separately in plastic cling film and freeze in a zippered bag.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 175.37
Calories From Fat (7%) - 12.5

Total Fat - 1.4g
Saturated Fat - 0.28g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 363.91mg
Potassium - 139.7mg
Total Carbohydrates - 16.77g
Fiber - 2.39g
Sugar - 2.49g
Protein - 24.38g

Comments:

I adore this recipe since it has a little bit of everything. It is savory and sweet. I love that it includes apples, leeks and garlic, which are all known to fight cancer. I can’t wait to make these with a dinner of cabbage or apples as well as for breakfast. These would also be great with sweet potatoes, fresh fennel, or squash.

I am off to make another type of seitan for the freezer, something for dinner and also need to fit in a workout. Expect another post or two later this evening.

8 comments:

  1. These would be great for breakfast. Now if the weather in Florida would just cool down a bit and staty that way so that I could use my oven. They would make great breakfast sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snugglebunny,

    Wow, too warm to turn the oven on .... I can't imagine. We have had the heat on and off here for a couple of weeks :(

    I agree they would be perfect for breakfast. Maybe I will do a special weekend breakfast with a couple of these tomorrow.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great; I'm glad they turned out...but I knew they would if you had anything to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Thanks! :) My husband was a little disappointed that he didn't get these for dinner tonight. If you have any other suggestions please feel free to share.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks amazing! I used to be a BIG fan of sausage patties when I ate meat. I can't believe you made sausage patties with apple and leek, it sounds so yummy. I would love to have them for breakfast, but I'm not sure I would be able to make them. I'm always shy away from recipes with long list of ingredients. Thanks for sharing, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oraphan,

    Most of the list is spices you probably have in your pantry. Please don't let the length of the list keep you from trying it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,

    This may be my best seitan sausage recipe to date. If you like seitan please give it a try. Both the hubby and loved it. We had one last night for dinner with sauteed cabbage.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails