Thursday, October 29, 2009

Seitan Sausage Variation Requests?



First, what does the picture of the National Aquarium have to do with the post? Nothing. It is a picture I took a few years ago at lunch with my husband and it is one of my favorite photos from the Baltimore Inner Harbor. I wanted to share it with all of you so you could see a little bit of the town where I live.

Today I am moving very slowly. The morning after cooking class I always feel a little unwell and this morning it is worse than normal. My head was screaming at me this morning as though it spent the night in a vice (probably the vino since my body isn’t used to it now). We had a lovely Nero D’Avola last night that happens to be one of my old favorites and I think my body is telling me to give up the vino 100% (darn it, you would think a glass once a week would be fine). After my morning green drink, goji and mixed berry smoothie and green tea with ginger and vitamin C I am beginning to feel more human and ready to start my day (at 11 am, yeesh it is almost lunch time).

Today my plan is to make whole wheat bread and turn it into breadcrumbs so that I can spend the afternoon making various versions of seitan. If anyone has any requests for particular seitan sausages please post a comment. Otherwise I will be making chorizo, andouille and another variation of a cutlet, yet to be determined.

I hope everyone is having a great day today. While I have a little motivation I am going to get my bread dough rising and do a little yoga. Does anyone else think yoga improves a headache, or is it just me?

I will be back later today with a few seitan recipes.

12 comments:

  1. We love spicy sausages and chirizo styles.. yummy!
    Debra @ Vegan Family Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra,

    Spicy sausage is our favorite as well. Thanks for the input.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh yummy; your sausages always look fab. What about some appley/leeky kind?..just a thought...don't feel like you have to do it on my account.

    I'm going to make seitan tomorrow; just baked loaves of it to stock up the freezer; I haven't made it in a few months. Maybe I'll try an apple-leek variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Apple and Leek, I like the way you think. I just happen to have both in the house now. Sounds like a great breakfast sausage as well as something that would be wonderful with cabbage. This just went on the list today because I have many ideas floating in my head of what to do with them.

    I am so glad to hear you are making seitan tomorrow. I hope that means you will be posting your recipe. I am always looking for new ways to cook seitan.

    thanks!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'll post about it, but it's not my recipe; I follow a basic one I found online with a few variations...then I just play around with it adding in ingredients etc. I'll post the link tomorrow. Hope your head's feeling better.

    And, the photo is really interesting; lots of angles and geometric shapes, quite artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    Thanks so much. I am very curious to see the recipe you use, particularly the cooking method.

    My headache is almost completely gone now, thankfully. I think my body is telling me to completely give up the vino, and that doesn't make me happy. I only get one glass a week and look forward to it, but .... I don't like the headache that comes as a result.

    I am so glad you like my photo. The shapes, angles, and light and dark are why I like it too. I love taking photos. Until recently I only shot things that weren't food.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that's a bummer about the wine; maybe you could make some sort of wine "shandy", so you could enjoy sharing the wine, but with the alcohol diluted a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,

    Both my husband and I love wine but gave it up (except for cooking class for me) because it is linked to DNA damage and increasing the risk of cancer. In the past I could drink half a bottle in the evening with my husband without a headache. Those days seem to be behind me now.

    Diluting the wine is a good idea. I may work on that idea. For now I will keep cooking with it so we can taste the flavor but without all the alcohol since most of it burns off.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. hope you feel better soon, congratulations on your blog award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,

    Thanks for the well wishes. My headache is greatly improved.

    And ... thanks for the congratulations. I really appreciate it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were willing to risk cutting up the whole wheat bread again? Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shenandoah,

    Thanks, I am much more careful now. And .... fresh bread tears ... no knife involved. ;)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails