Saturday, August 22, 2009

Eggplant tomato sauce



Dinner tonight was Italian for a few reasons. First. Italian food is always welcome in my family. Second, I have been on such a Middle Eastern kick recently I have been neglecting my roots. Today we returned to a Sicilian inspired dinner. This is the sauce I used tonight.

I made my tomato and eggplant sauce, and I made a vat of it. If you shop at Costco and know those giant cans of tomatoes, that is what I turned into sauce today. I will put the leftovers in the freezer to use over the next month or so when I want a little sauce.

Eggplant tomato sauce
Makes 16 cups

Ingredients:

½ tablespoon of canola oil
3 cups of red onion, finely minced
4 carrots, finely diced
6 cloves of garlic minced (allow to stand 10 minutes so the allicin can develop)
102 ounces of diced tomatoes
5 cups of eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes (2 medium eggplants)
6 ounces of pitted black olives, sliced into 1/8 inch rings
1 ½ tablespoons of dried oregano, or to taste
½ tablespoon of dried thyme, or to taste
½ tablespoon of kosher salt, or to taste
½ tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes, or to taste

Directions:

Sauté the onion, carrot and garlic in the olive oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over a low simmer for at least an hour. Stir occasionally to make certain the sauce doesn’t try to stick on the bottom.

Nutritional Information (per 1 cup):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 76.99
Calories From Fat (22%) - 17.2

Total Fat - 2.03g
Saturated Fat - 0.29g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 247.95mg
Potassium - 568.49mg
Total Carbohydrates - 14.51g
Fiber - 4.77g
Sugar - 6.35g
Protein - 2.64g

Comments:

This is a good all purpose Southern Italian tomato sauce that works on pasta, pizza or anywhere else you use tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails