Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Almond Milk with Oats



I make almond milk nearly everyday. Since I discovered it was easier than making soymilk almond milk has become my non-dairy milk of choice. When I make soymilk I use Bryanna Clark Grogan’s recipe that adds a few tablespoons of oats to the milk and it made a world of difference in terms of creaminess. Today I thought why don’t I try adding oats to the almond milk, so that is what I did.

This almond milk is richer than my standard recipe for almond milk but is no more difficult. If you are looking for soymilk replacement this recipe is quick, easy and rich.

Almond Milk with Oats
Makes 6 ½ cups

Ingredients:

1 cups of almonds, soaked overnight
7 cups of filtered water
3 tablespoons of old fashioned oats (uncooked)
1/8 teaspoon of sea salt - optional

Directions:

Place half the almonds in your blender with half the water and half the oats. Blend for a minute or two until the nuts are ground. Strain the nut milk through a fine wire sieve or a regular sieve lined with a couple layers of cheesecloth. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. I save the strained solids in the freezer for adding to veggie burgers.

Refrigerate and serve cold or use as you would dairy milk or soymilk.

Nutritional Information (per 1 cup):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 57.5
Calories From Fat (53%) - 30.29

Total Fat - 3.31g
Saturated Fat - 0.05g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 150.09mg
Potassium - 209.3mg
Total Carbohydrates - 4.98g
Fiber - 1.48g
Sugar - 0g
Protein - 1.76g

Comments:

This almond milk tastes very similar to the recipe without oats but this milk is thicker and richer. There may be a little oat taste in the background, but if there is, it is subtle. I may taste oats only because I expect to. Overall I am pleased with the addition of oats in the almond milk. I can’t wait to hear what my husband thinks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Alicia! Thank you so much for the link to this recipe, I'm so glad I found it. Once in a while, I make my own almond milk because I try to avoid soy milk. I'm excited to try adding oats in my almonds milk, I wonder how it tastes, can't wait to give it a try:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    It tastes like almond milk only a little thicker and richer. The oat flavor is very mild and you won't know what it is, unless you are the one that made it. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails