Saturday, August 8, 2009

Banana, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal and Flaxseed Meal in a Glass



I made this smoothie to be an entire meal in a glass. When I don’t feel like I am 100% I would prefer to drink my breakfast rather that do a lot of chewing. I think the same can be said for most people.

According to one website I saw this morning there are over 400 medications that American’s take everyday that cause dry mouth. If anyone in your family is on a blood pressure medication they may be experiencing dry mouth. This breakfast would be great for them. I also understand that most cancer treatments cause dry mouth so this recipe would also be good for cancer patients.

This is one of those recipes I tinkered with in my cookbook program before I actually prepared it. An extra banana was added to this smoothie to increase the calories. I also used a little more dry oatmeal and peanut butter for the same reason.

My husband thought this smoothie was delicious, but he loves anything chocolate so that may be why he enjoyed it so much. This smoothie is thick, rich and goes down really easy.

Banana, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal and Flaxseed Meal in a Glass
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 bananas
¾ cup of old fashioned oatmeal, dry
1 ½ tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
2 tablespoons of golden flaxseeds, ground
1 scoop of stevia
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of ginger, powdered
2 cups of almond milk, unsweetened
1 ½ cups of ice

Directions:

Put everything in the blender and puree until completely smooth. Serve immediately in a chilled glass.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 409.56
Calories From Fat (35%) - 145.27

Total Fat - 16.96g
Saturated Fat - 2.71g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 238.13mg
Potassium - 908.87mg
Total Carbohydrates - 61.26g
Fiber - 13.18g
Sugar - 16.18g
Protein - 12.55g

Comments:

The most dominant flavor in this smoothie is banana, followed by chocolate with peanut butter in the background. The ginger and cinnamon are very mild background flavors that add complexity to the smoothie without adding distinctive flavor.

This smoothie does contain a good bit of fat from the peanut butter and flaxseeds. Since I needed to up the calories I decided not to reduce the peanut butter. The flaxseeds contain healthy Omega 3's that fight cancer so I wasn't reducing those either.

I think this is my husband’s favorite smoothie so far. I thought it was very tasty and filling. The cool thickness would feel wonderful if anyone in your family has a sore throat.
Update:
My husband must have loved this smoothie. He asked me to make him a second one tonight for a snack since "he was certain he hadn't eaten enough today and needed the calories". Since my husband never asks for a specific item I know this smoothie was a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails