Saturday, August 29, 2009

Roasted Roma Tomatoes with Sherry Vinegar and Basil



Since we are also having the sweet pomegranate roasted tomatoes I wanted something similar but different for contrast so I decided to use sherry vinegar to see how we liked this by comparison. I made both versions at the same time and held them at room temperature until dinner. My husband and I found it difficult not to sample these prior to dinner. The smell was very inviting.

Roasted Roma Tomatoes with Sherry Vinegar and Basil
Serves 8

Ingredients:

Approximately 17 Roma tomatoes (enough to fill a half sheet pan)
3 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
2 tablespoons of fresh basil, finely chopped

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.

Cut the Roma tomatoes in half top to bottom. Remove the stem end and the seed sacs.

Pour the sherry vinegar into a bowl; it makes it easier to get it evenly into the tomatoes. Use a spoon to put a little of the vinegar into each tomato. I think I used about a ½ teaspoon per tomato half (so not much really). Sprinkle the tomatoes with the kosher salt and put the pan in the oven.

Check the tomatoes in one hour to see if they are a texture you like. I roasted my tomatoes for and hour and fifteen minutes.

When you are ready to serve top the tomatoes with freshly chopped basil.

Nutritional information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 55.3
Calories From Fat (9%) - 5.18

Total Fat - 0.62g
Saturated Fat - 0.08g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 73.55mg
Potassium - 724.77mg
Total Carbohydrates - 12.27g
Fiber - 3.9g
Sugar - 7.57g
Protein - 2.69g

Comments:

These tomatoes are a little tart from the sherry vinegar but also sweet from the concentrated tomato. Fresh basil took the flavor over the top. These were just as good as the other version of tomatoes I made today but with a different flavor profile. When I asked everyone which tomato version they liked best the response was unanimous, both tomatoes were good and were so different it they couldn’t be compared.

I plan to use the leftover tomatoes for sandwich for the next fews days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails