Monday, August 17, 2009

Baked Tofu with Oriental Flavor



I made this tofu today to use on a salad for dinner tonight. My husband has never learned to like the texture of tofu. Before I use tofu I need to change the texture so that he enjoys it as much as I do. Baking tofu makes a much more dense and chewy product that we both like.

If you haven’t tried baking your tofu it is very easy and quick. I like to bake my own tofu so that I can add the flavors that work well in our favorite recipes. The commercial varieties of baked tofu are fine, but the flavors are limited and that was the biggest reason I decided to try to make my own baked tofu at home.

Baked Tofu with Oriental Flavor
Serves 4

Ingredients:

14 ounces of extra firm tofu
1 tablespoon of liquid aminos
1 teaspoon of agave
1 teaspoon of canola oil

Directions:

Slice the tofu into ½ inch strips and then into 2 by 2 squares. Place the tofu squares in a single layer on and press with a few layers of paper towel to remove the excess water.

Put the pressed tofu into a shallow dish, with a lid, and cover with the liquid aminos, agave and canola oil and refrigerate (covered) until you are ready to bake the tofu.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the tofu in a single layer on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat. Bake the tofu for 25 minutes, or until it is beginning to brown and become a little crisp and chewy.

The tofu can be used immediately or refrigerated and used later.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 101.43
Calories From Fat (57%) - 58.25

Total Fat - 6.91g
Saturated Fat - 0.62g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 248.2mg
Potassium - 133.2mg
Total Carbohydrates - 2.27g
Fiber - 0.51g
Sugar - 0.54g
Protein - 9.82g

Comments:

This tofu is chewy and a little crunchy. It has a mild oriental flavor that works with most Asian foods. I used this tofu with a salad this evening and it added a nice textural counterpoint to the rice and lettuce. I will post the salad recipe tomorrow since it getting so late tonight.

2 comments:

  1. have you tried freezing tofu first, after you thaw it out it, its texture is chewy and more like seiten, am i spelling seiten correctly????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    Thanks for the suggestion on freezing the tofu. I do sometimes freeze tofu but not often. I should keep a package in the freezer for quick dinners, but am not that organized.

    I have seen a few different spellings for seitan but most often as seitan.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails