Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Natural Mouthwash not Alcohol Based -Thyme and Salt



If you have spent any time at the Environmental Working Group’s website you know how many of the products you use every day (like mouthwash) contain things you don’t want to come into contact with. I decided to try my hand at making my own mouthwash.

This version contains three ingredients (water, thyme and salt). I used the thyme because I had read it is not only antiseptic and antiviral but when used in mouthwash it treats inflammation of the mouth and throat. The salt was included because it is antibacterial. The resulting mouthwash is mild in flavor.

Thyme and Salt Mouthwash
Makes 4 cups

Ingredients:

4 cups of filtered water
approximately 30 sprigs of thyme (about ¼ cup packed)
1 tablespoon of kosher salt

Directions:

Place the stems of thyme (with leaves intact) in the water and bring the water to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer add the salt and put a lid on the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes then let the thyme steep for an hour.

Strain the leaves and stems from the liquid. I used a cheesecloth lined wire sieve. Pour the mouthwash into a jar with a lid. Use as your would commercial mouthwash. Swish and spit since this mouthwash is high in sodium.

This amount lasts a few days at my house. I guess we are a little obsessive about mouth cleanliness. This mouthwash was fine stored at room temperature for three days.

Comments:

This doesn’t taste anything like commercial mouthwash. It tastes like exactly what it is, salty thyme water. If you like thyme and salt that isn’t a bad thing.

I had been using Dessert Essence Tea Tree Oil Mouthwash. It tasted fine, but was very expensive considering the tiny little bottle you got for the price. I also wasn't thrilled that the third ingredient on the list was Polysorbate 80.

Undoubtedly I will play around with mouthwash recipes in the coming months to see what other things I can add and if that makes a difference in how they work. So far this seems to be working nicely.

2 comments:

  1. I'm diggin' your homemade household products posts. You are inspiring me. I clean with baking powder and Dr. Bronner's too. But I definitely want to start using more natural homemade hygiene products. I've decided not to buy body lotion anymore and just use good-quality olive oil instead. I'm definitely going to give the mouthwash a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    It is nice to hear that I am not the only one interested in this type of thing. Thanks for commenting so I know.

    I don't know why I didn't add liquid soap to the baking soda earlier. It seems so obvious now that I tried it.

    We have been buying a lot of Burt's Bees body products. Body lotion is next on my list of things to work on. If I whip up something I like I will post it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails