Sunday, August 9, 2009

Healthy Date and Walnut Truffles



My husband and I have been losing weight a little faster than I think is healthy. This is why you saw the high calorie smoothie yesterday and why I worked on this recipe today. These “candies” are my modification of a recipe I saw in Martina Navratilova’s book “Shape Yourself”.

These little balls of goodness are quite sweet (at least for my taste) due to the dates and agave. My husband (mister sweet tooth) thinks the sweet level is just right. I like the date flavor and the hint of cinnamon and ginger in the background.

These balls have a softer texture out of the refrigerator than I anticipated. I mention this specifically for my friend Reiko who may be considering taking these with her when she runs. Unless it is winter I don’t think these will hold up well for a run. If you wanted to keep them in car in a cooler for after the run, that would work. I had hoped these would make a portable snack for when my husband travels for work, but I think they are too soft out of the refrigerator. I will continue to work on this idea until I find the right combination that will remain firm without refrigeration.

Since the taste turned out well I told my hubby I would work on a version with a chocolate interior next. Expect to see that in a few days after we go through these. If someone in your house has a sore throat and is sick of smoothies, this is a nice change. Who doesn't like a little "candy" when they don't feel great?

Healthy Date and Walnut Truffles
Serves 15

Ingredients:

½ cup of almond milk
4 dates, chopped
1 tablespoon of white chia seeds, ground
1 cup of oatmeal
¼ cup of walnuts
1 tablespoon of white sesame seeds ground
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of powdered ginger
¼ cup of walnuts, ground – for the exterior
1 teaspoon of reduced fat coconut – for the exterior
1 teaspoon of cocoa powder – for the exterior

Directions:

Heat the almond milk and dates so the dates begin to soften. This will happen in a minute or two. Add the chia seeds to the almond milk so the chia seeds will absorb the liquid.

Grind the oatmeal and walnuts into the food processor until they are as fine as flour. This took about 2 minutes in my food processor. Add the cinnamon, ginger and almond date milk mixture and puree to combine.

Put the date and walnut mixture into a container with a lid and refrigerate until cool enough to handle (about an hour).

Form the date and walnut mixture into balls with your hands. Roll some of balls in the ground walnuts and place in a container in a single layer and refrigerate until you want to eat them. Continue rolling the remaining balls in the coconut and cocoa powder.

Place the balls in a single on a parchment or wax paper lined container. Cover and refrigerate until you want to eat them.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 59.6
Calories From Fat (45%) - 26.94

Total Fat - 3.44g
Saturated Fat - 0.35g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 6.19mg
Potassium - 71.98mg
Total Carbohydrates - 7.39g
Fiber - 1.67g
Sugar - 1.68g
Protein - 1.48

Comments:

These have good flavor and a creamy texture when cold from the refrigerator. Next time I have decided to work on making these more firm. Right now I am not certain how, but I will figure it out. I also think a hazelnut in the center like an Italian chocolate bacci would be a nice touch.

If you are looking for a quick snack from the refrigerator that contains healthy fat and carbs with a little protein these are quite tasty.

2 comments:

  1. Try omitting the almond milk and substitue a nut butter. I recommend Sun Butter or Cashew Butter-especially for your runner friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scarlet,

    We eat a few too many nuts in our house, but nut butter would be good here. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails