Thursday, August 27, 2009

Layered Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mousse with Bourbon



My poor husband has been waiting for this mousse for months. I thought of the idea at least 3 months ago, told him about it and then never made it until today. This is a variation of my chocolate mousse with espresso, which is one of his favorites. Well, he also loves chocolate and peanut butter cups (which I don't make often) so I thought that he would like the flavor combination in mousse form. Needless to say, he loves it.

This dessert is very easy to make. The portions are intentionally small because the mousse is so rich and decadent tasting. I don’t like to have much at once and my husband can always eat two, so this small portion works well at our house. I have made the chocolate mousse for many people (never vegan) and everyone has loved it.

I included bourbon in this recipe since I knew it would work well with the peanut butter, and it is an amazing flavor combination. You can omit the bourbon if you wish, but it does add to the flavor and more importantly to the aroma, and only amounts to ¼ tablespoon per serving.

Layered Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mousse with Bourbon
Serves 4

Ingredients:

12.3 ounces of low fat silken tofu, firm
6 tablespoons of agave
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of Bourbon (used Woodford Reserve)
2 tablespoon of natural organic peanut butter
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
4 tablespoons of dark chocolate chips

Directions:

Place the tofu, agave, vanilla extract and bourbon your food process and blend completely.

Remove ½ of the tofu mixture to be made chocolate shortly.

Add the peanut butter to the food processor and blend completely.

Put the peanut butter mousse in the bottom of 4 cups. Scrape the processor bowl well or wash it and return it to the machine with the reserved tofu mixture.

Add the cocoa powder to the food processor. Melt the chips in the microwave on 30% power until soft (I needed 3 minutes). Scrape the soft chocolate into the food processor and thoroughly blend.

Top the peanut butter mousse with the chocolate mousse. Cover the top of the cups with plastic cling film and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours). Enjoy cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 190.82
Calories From Fat (45%) - 85.99

Total Fat - 10.36g
Saturated Fat - 3.47g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 135.81mg
Potassium - 215.38mg
Total Carbohydrates - 16.62g
Fiber - 4.32g
Sugar - 2.43g
Protein - 9.66g

Comments:

This recipe has a little more fat than I would like, but much of it comes from the natural peanut butter so I don’t think it can be that bad for our health.

Chocolate, peanut butter and bourbon are a flavor match made in heaven. The chocolate layer is a little thick, the peanut layer softer, and together they are magical. If you want you can add some chopped peanuts or mini chocolate chips to either layer. I would put peanuts in the chocolate and chocolate in the peanut butter.

6 comments:

  1. zomg. peanut butter, chocolate and bourbon?? you've got to be kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. veggievixen,

    Not kidding. The bourbon is only one tablespoon and is more of an aroma than a taste. I think you will be surprised how well it works.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I know that you recipes aren't usually so decadent, but you need a treat every now and then! I have made the original chocolate mousse for so many people and they are always shocked that it is tofu. More of a crowd pleaser than almost anything from you I have made.

    Funny that your one kind of decadent dessert would provoke a reaction!

    BTW, chocolate and bourbon = AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alexandra,

    Thanks for the feedback on the chocolate mousse. I agree with you that the chocolate mousse may be the best recipe on the blog so far.

    I always put whiskey or bourbon in my peanut butter cookies and it is a fabulous flavor combination. The little german chocolates filled with liquor .... the whiskey variety is always gone first at our house. Clearly not everyone agrees with this concept.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so rich and delicious!

    Thanks for a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzi,

    I am so glad you liked the recipe! Thanks so much for letting me know. My husband was happy to hear you liked it as well. It is one of his favorites.

    My husband has nicknamed this recipe "Moose and Squirrel". Moose for mousse, and squirrel for the peanuts since that is what I feed the neighborhood squiresl. He thinks he is very funny. Men ..... :)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails