Friday, August 7, 2009

Whole Wheat Flaxseed Waffles with Wild Blueberry Lemon Sauce



This morning I wanted to make a special breakfast since my sweetie is home. He loves waffles so that was what we had today.

I used the most recent recipe I posted for waffles, with two minor changes. I increased the baking powder to 1 ½ teaspoons and added ¼ teaspoon of lemon extract since I was making a blueberry lemon sauce. The additional baking powder was added to lighten the waffles a little since I didn’t want to eliminate the flaxseeds. I think this batch of waffles was a little lighter, but they are still not quite perfect. Good, but not perfect yet. I will continue to work on them. Keeping the flaxseeds is important to me for the omega 3's and their cancer fighting abilities. I am determined to a make a healthy waffle that is as good or better than the white flour original.

The blueberry sauce on the other hand was fantastic tasting, very quick and easy. Before I started the waffle batter I put 2 cups of frozen wild blueberries into a saucepan and began cooking them over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the waffles were ready so was the sauce. At the end of cooking I added a tablespoon of lemon-flavored vodka (from what I was steeping for cello). I topped the pancake with sauce, a little fresh lemon zest, and a few sliced almonds. The sauce had a big blueberry flavor and was sweet enough that it didn’t need added sugar.

Wild blueberries are much higher in antioxidants than cultivated blueberries. I buy mine at Costco and try to always have a bag in the freezer for smoothies, pancakes and cobblers. Blueberries and lemon are a favorite combination at our house.

Blueberry Lemon Waffle Topping
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 cups of frozen wild blueberries, unsweetened
1 tablespoon of lemon vodka (or a dash of lemon extract)

Directions:

Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until the blueberries break down. This should happen in 10 minutes. Add the lemon vodka, or extract, in the last few minutes of cooking.

This sauce can be served warm or cold. I think it has a more pronounced flavor when it is warm.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 92.11
Calories From Fat (0%) - 0

Total Fat - 0g
Saturated Fat - 0g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 0.14mg
Potassium - 95.14mg
Total Carbohydrates - 18g
Fiber - 6g
Sugar - 10g
Protein - 0g

Comments:

This sauce would also be good mixed with some tofu ricotta, or in a fool. I would like this over a piece of pound cake. If you are a fan of blueberries this is tasty quick sauce when you need a quick dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails