Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tofu Frittata and Salad



Last night we had a larger dinner than normal. This meant neither my husband nor I were particularly hungry this morning. I decided a light breakfast would be perfect today. The tofu frittata can be made from start to finish in about 20 minutes. However, it is equally good cold. If you were someone that liked cold quiche try making a tofu frittata and refrigerating to eat later when it has chilled completely.

I like to include both raw and cooking vegetables in our meals. I think that by having both raw and lightly cooked vegetables you get more nutrition. Some nutrients are more bioavailable when food has been lightly cooked compared to the raw state. Since I don’t have time to memorize all the foods that are better cooked I mix up how I prepare them.

This meal contains a number of cancer fighter foods, specifically: soy, onion, turmeric, broccoli sprouts, tomato, chia seeds, dark greens and garlic). As my husband will tell you I work to make certain I can get as many cancer fighting foods into our meals as possible.

This meal was light, but did require a bit of chewing (this is the comment from the hubby). We think this makes a great summer breakfast.

Tofu Frittata and Salad
Serves 2

Ingredients:

½ of tofu frittata, cut in half
1 head of lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
2 tomatoes, cut into bite size pieces
½ cup of broccoli sprouts
4 tablespoons of cashew, sun dried tomato and chia seed dressing
1 tablespoon of vegan bacon bits

Directions:

Prepare tofu frittata, or if previously made it can be served cold like quiche.

Place the lettuce, top with tomatoes, broccoli spouts, dressing and vegan bacon bits and serve.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 184.85
Calories From Fat (15%) - 27.69

Total Fat - 3.24g
Saturated Fat - 0.47g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 403.92mg
Potassium - 838.24mg
Total Carbohydrates - 28.33g
Fiber - 6.97g
Sugar - 4.79g
Protein - 13.42g

Comments:

This makes a quick breakfast for those hot summer mornings when you don’t feel like eating anything more complicated than cereal. I prefer the tofu frittata cold, and my husband seems to like it better hot. Try it both ways to see which one is more popular with your family.

I will post the frittata next since the recipe was modified and I need to add some additional nutritional information regarding getting the most nutrition from your turmeric before I forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails