Thursday, August 27, 2009

High Fructose Corn Syrup Linked to DNA Damage



According to this article we have yet another reason to avoid high fructose corn syrup. Since at our house we are actively trying to avoid DNA damage, I will be even more vigilant to avoid HFCS now.

Researchers at the USDA have measured dramatic increases in hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) as temperatures increase. It is apparently a heat-induced decomposition of the product. It is interesting that there are limits on how much can be contained in the honey and yet I have heard of this before.

When I did a little research it seems to appear in many products. Since this seems to be a by-product of fructose dehydration I assume only sweet products (dried fruit was mentioned in one article) are at risk for this by-product. I interpret this as yet another reason to keep our sweet consumption to a minimum (bummer!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails