Thursday, August 6, 2009

Finding Healthy Vegan Food in Tulsa …. Not So Much


(source: ars.usda.gov)

My husband has reported that while traveling for work in Tulsa it was little difficult to find vegan food. He was in Tulsa for less than 22 hours (much of that sleeping or in meetings) but told me that finding acceptable food was much more difficult than it is on the east coast.

He ended up at Subway, which was the best choice he could find. When he was in the airport he got a veggie salad from Subway. Needless to say a few hours later he was hungry again found another Subway and this time got the veggie sub from Subway.

Dinner in cattle country was another story. He asked a local he was meeting with for a vegetarian or vegan restaurant and was reminded that he was in cattle country and they didn’t have vegetarian or vegan restaurants. The guys ended up doing the best they could at a seafood restaurant. Not optimal, but better than most of the options he had on the road.

What was most surprising to us was that the hotel near the airport didn’t have soy or almond milk. So much for the muesli I sent with him. We had no idea it would be so difficult to find basics like soymilk in the mid-west. Here on the east coast if you are in the train station in DC you can buy soymilk in little containers next to the dairy milk. Foolishly I expected the same thing in airport and hotels in mid-west. Well, at least we know now for the next trip.

What do all of you do if you need to travel for work, and don’t have the time to search out healthy food on the road or any way to refrigerate items from home? Not being able to carry much liquid on the plane was a pain for me in terms of planning this time. Any suggestions you have for the next time would be greatly appreciated.

12 comments:

  1. For the soymilk, what if he brought some soy milk powder in a jar (I recycle old peanut butter jars)? Also, I never leave home without a CLIF bar or something like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,

    I am really glad you brought up the soymilk powder. I have read really bad reveiws on that product so I have never purchased it. Have you tried it before?

    Thanks for the idea on the CLIF bars. I tend to get so focused on keeping his sugar down I don't think of those types of things.

    thanks for your ideas,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bring organic nut butters - peanut, almond, cashew, etc. I have them on rice crackers after a big vegan salad. Fills me up until the next meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FM,

    I considered nut butter before the trip but wasn't certain how well the natural varieties would hold up without refrigeration. However, given the lack of alternatives I will definitely give it a try on the next business trip. Has airport security ever given you a problem with nut butter?

    Thanks so much for the suggestion!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually pack them in my suitcase, which I check in. Not sure if airport security would confiscate if you bring them as a carry-on.

    Nut butters don't need refrigeration - I usually buy them in small quantities.

    Yep - it's hard to stay vegan in the Midwest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FM,

    Thanks for replying. Good to know the nut butters are fine if checked. We will definitely keep it in mind for the next trip!

    I guess I have a little food safety paranoia, I always refrigerate my nut butters. Then again I also freeze my nuts, so .... you get the idea. I greatly appreciate you letting me know they are fine unrefrigerated and checked.

    On the East coast we are spoiled by the ease of eating vegan. We were shocked that it was so difficult in the Midwest.

    thanks again,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am Very Proud to announce that I am a Chef at the Only All Vegan Restaurant In the middle of "Cattle Country" My name is Chef Ron Landry, and the Restaurant is PURE CAFE 3711 South Harvard, Tulsa, OK 918-749-8000

    Cynthia Beavers is the owner and she will also coordinate shipment to your home or even your hotel room anywhere in the country.

    I would love to hear back from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron,

    Thanks so much for letting me know how to find you. When my hubby needs to go back to Tulsa for business I will definitely send him your way. It is so good to know you are there!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your husband missed out on Be Le Vegetarian and Big Al's! All the independent coffeeshops (and all Starbucks) carry soymilk, too ... Next time he should ask some of the workers at Whole Foods for suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ariel,

    Thanks for the suggestions. We will keep them in mind if he has to go back to Tulsa for work. He wasn't there long enough to even look for the Whole Foods or that would have been a great idea. ;-)

    thanks again,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stumbled across this post from before I started reading your blog. Too bad I couldn't offer suggestions before Dan came to T-Town. It's definitely easier to eat vegan on the coasts, but there are some good options here. If Dan ever heads to Tulsa for business again, I'll be glad to offer guidance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brigid,

    Thank you so much for the offer of assistance. If Dan gets back to Tulsa I know he would love suggestions. His last trip there was not good from a vegan food perspective.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails