Monday, August 10, 2009

Healthy Homemade Scouring Cleanser



While this is a recipe, it is only related to food in the clean up phase. However, I thought you may be interested in non-toxic cleaning products so I have decided to post the recipe.

I have used straight baking soda to clean my bathroom for years. It works, but it is not as easy or effective as the toxic product with the talking bubbles. If you have spent any time researching cancer you know that many environmental medicine doc's are recommending that we all stay away from cleaning toxins. That is much easier said than done. I have been green cleaning at home for a number of years now, and I still find it requires more time and effort than the toxic alternatives.

Today I decided to add a little environmentally friendly dish liquid to the baking soda to see how that would impact the cleaning process. I started with 1/4 cup of baking soda and added about 2 tablespoons of dish liquid and stirred it together until the baking soda was all incorporated. The consistency was like cake frosting that was too thick.

I was shocked at how well this worked to clean the soap scum from the bathroom as well as the sink in the kitchen. The thickness of the product allowed it to stay on the scrubby side of the sponge while I cleaned. The liquid soap must have helped the baking soda clean because it was much quicker to clean the bathroom today than when I use baking soda alone. This also worked fairly well to reduce tea stains from my cups. It didn't remove the stain completely but it did reduce the stains considerably. The product was also much easier to rinse off than the straight baking soda I have used for years.

I had a little product left over and placed it in a jar with a lid. I think it will hold fine that way for a few days. If that turns out to be incorrect I will add an update to this post.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I am a firm believer in green cleaning my home. Cancer runs like wildfire in my family. No thanks. And with two little ones, I do not want to expose them to toxins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. twoveganboys,

    You are very welcome. I completely agree with you on green cleaning. Since I started green cleaning about 5 years ago I can't tolerate the smell of chemical cleaners anymore when others use them. They used to smell clean and now they just smell toxic.

    Sorry to hear you have cancer in the family too. Sounds like you have a headstart running away from it though.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails