Monday, August 17, 2009

Moroccan Spiced Green and Wax Beans with Tomatoes



This is another dish I made on Saturday that I am delinquent in posting. I like the color combination of the green and yellow beans with the red of the tomatoes. This dish would also be good on a bed of whole-wheat couscous as an entrée. A few slivered almonds on top would also be good for textural variation. The flavor of the dish has a subtle Moroccan background but is still familiar. This may have been my favorite dish from Saturday.

Moroccan Spiced Green and Wax Beans with Tomatoes
Serves 4

Ingredients:

½ tablespoon of canola oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon of ras el hanout
½ pound of green beans, cut into bite sized pieces
½ pound of wax beans, cut into bite sized pieces
1 teaspoon of kosher salt

Directions:

Sauté the red onion in the canola oil until lightly caramelized. Add the spice mix and sauté for a minute to develop the flavor and then add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook the beans until they reach your desired level of doneness. I like my vegetables a little crisp so I cooked mine about 8 minutes.

Serve hot.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 79.07
Calories From Fat (24%) - 18.89

Total Fat - 2.17g
Saturated Fat - 0.21g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 535.93mg
Potassium - 353.67mg
Total Carbohydrates - 14.38g
Fiber - 5.43g
Sugar - 3.4g
Protein - 3.23g

Comments:

These beans are different from standard recipes only due to the spice blend. The flavor is not too assertive, but it makes a noticeable difference. If you are making a Middle Eastern of Moroccan meal this makes a good side dish.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Saturday night's dinner must have been quite a feast... it all looks and sounds so flavorful and satisfying...am going to try the muhammara for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    I got a little carried away on Saturday which is probably why I was too tired to post it that night. One final Saturday recipe and I am caught up.

    The muhammara is one of my favorites. I hope you like it. We have a nice Middle Eastern restaurant downtown that makes it and I loved it so much I had figure out how to make it myself.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails