Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Crispy Chickpeas Flavored with Turmeric and Black Pepper



This is a good portable protein packed snack that contains the cancer fighting power of turmeric. If you decided to take this on the road make certain you carry napkins. The yellow turmeric will rub off on your fingers.

I made this snack for my husband who will be going to Tulsa for about 36 hours for business. Being the loving wife I worry that he won’t find suitable food in the airport or on the road. I try to always pack healthy snacks so that my husband has something to eat, just in case. This trip he is taking these chickpeas, trail mix with roasted edamame, muesli (in case the hotel only has sugar laden foods on the breakfast bar). Oh, and green bags too, of course. A little obsessive, I know. But I can’t help myself.

Crispy Chickpeas Flavored with Turmeric and Black Pepper
Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 cups of garbanzo beans, which were cooked until just tender
½ tablespoon of canola oil
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Drain chickpeas well and place on paper toweling to remove the remaining exterior water. Heat a heavy cast iron skillet over medium low heat. Add the canola oil, turmeric, and chickpeas to the pan stir to coat the chickpeas with the seasonings. Cook the chickpeas until they are toasted all around. I leave the heat on reasonably low and set the timer to five minutes and give them stir and repeat until they are evenly crunchy. This should take about 30 minutes. The exact time will depend on how high the heat and what type of pan you use.

When you remove the chickpeas from the pan add the black pepper and kosher salt to taste. The reason you wait to add the black pepper is that it will burn if you add it at the beginning (I tried that once, it wasn’t a good idea).

The crispy chickpeas can be stored at room temperature for a few days.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 161.56
Calories From Fat (17%) - 27.54

Total Fat - 3.19g
Saturated Fat - 0.29g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 429.74mg
Potassium - 226.9mg
Total Carbohydrates - 27.83g
Fiber - 5.54g
Sugar - 0.02g
Protein - 6.04g

Comments:

You can flavor these crispy chickpeas any way you would like. They make a fantastic portable snack that contains protein without too much fat. They are a good alternative to nuts.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness you are prolific! I was planning to make this recipe and when I came to look for it, it's already waaaaay down on the first page. So many delicious goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shenandoah Vegan,

    Thanks for the compliment. I spend too much time in the kitchen I think.

    The chickpeas are best when they are warm. If I have leftovers I like to use them on a salad in place of croutons. I forgot to add that to the comment section above.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails