Monday, August 17, 2009

Moroccan Lentil Burgers with Preserved Lemon



This is the final recipe from this past Saturday. As you probably noticed there was a Moroccan theme to Saturday's dinner. My husband is on a Moroccan kick since he had his favorite Moroccan chickpea stew on Thursday. When I asked him what flavor veggie burger he wanted he immediately said “Moroccan sounds good to me”. Well, it sounds like a good idea and one I don’t remember making so I decided to give it a shot.

Since I wanted the Moroccan flavor I knew I need an appropriate spice blend and preserved lemons. Next I thought since I want Moroccan flavor I should use almonds and this would be a perfect way to use my homemade almond flour (leftover from making almond milk). Green lentils were the base of burger for a few reasons. Lentils are quick and I haven’t used them in while. I added a little ras el hanout and kosher salt to taste. Last I added vital wheat gluten until the mixture would hold together. If it feels a little dry add a little more liquid.

This veggie burger follows my standard recipe for burgers, a little bean/legume, some grain or flour, spice and vital wheat gluten. This method has worked well for me for a few years now so I don’t vary much from the process.

Moroccan Lentil Burgers with Preserved Lemon
8 servings

Ingredients:

1 pound of green lentil, cooked until tender
2 tablespoons of ras el hanout
2 teaspoons of kosher salt
1 preserved lemon, finely minced
½ cup of almond flour (or bread crumbs)
8 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten
2 tablespoon of canola oil, to cook burgers

Directions:

Begin heating your cast iron skillet rubbed with canola oil.

Mix the lentils, ras el hanout, salt, preserved lemon, and almond flour. Taste the mixture for seasoning before adding the vital wheat gluten. Once the seasoning is correct add the vital wheat gluten and knead it into the burgers. If your burgers get a little dry add liquid a few tablespoons at a time until they come together.

Form the burgers into entrée size burgers, or slider sized burgers as I did.

Cook the burgers until they are golden on one side and then flip and cook on the other side. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200-degree oven until the remainder of dinner is ready.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 294.78
Calories From Fat (16%) - 45.9

Total Fat - 5.26g
Saturated Fat - 0.52g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 885.52mg
Potassium - 602.08mg
Total Carbohydrates - 39.85g
Fiber - 18.1g
Sugar - 1.15g
Protein - 23.91g

Comments:

These burgers had a great preserved lemon flavor. I was surprised how much I liked the preserved lemon flavor in veggie burgers. I also liked the ras el hanout in the burger. If I were going to make these again I would add a few soaked chopped golden raisins and maybe a little fresh cilantro. Overall this was a good burger that I will make again. This was another winning recipe idea from my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails