Monday, August 17, 2009

Zucchini Fritters



I made zucchini fritters on Saturday as part of dinner and didn’t have time to post them until today. When the zucchini is abundant in the summertime I am always looking for ways to use zucchini. Summer squash are some of my favorite vegetables.

These fritters are whole grain and lower fat than traditional recipes. Both my husband and parents love it when I make fritters of any sort which is why you are seeing another version so soon after the corn fritters. We didn’t have any leftovers and I only ate two fritters so I guess the family really enjoyed them.

Zucchini Fritters
Makes 4 entrée sized portions – 16 fritters

Ingredients:

1 cup of whole-wheat pastry flour
¼ cup of finely ground white cornmeal
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon of oregano, dried
1 ½ teaspoons of egg replacer
2 tablespoons of warm water, to dissolve egg replacer
1 cup of almond milk
2+ cups of zucchini, shredded (from 2 zucchini)
2 tablespoons of canola oil, for cooking cakes

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees to keep the cooked fritters warm while you finish.

Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, cumin and oregano and whisk to thoroughly combine. Set this bowl aside.

Combine the egg replacer and warm water and whisk to dissolve the egg replacer. Add the almond milk to the wet ingredients and whisk again.

Stir the zucchini into the dry ingredients to coat them with flour. This will help the zucchini not sink to the bottom of the batter.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. If the batter is dry add a little extra almond milk or water until the batter resembles pancake batter. Don’t overbeat the batter or your fritters will be tough.

Heat a cast iron pan or griddle over medium heat and coat with a little of the canola oil.

Dollop the fritter batter on the hot griddle in approximately ¼ cup measures. Cook until bubbles form on the top of the fritter and then flip and cook the other side.

You can keep the fritters hot in a 200-degree oven while you cook the remaining batter.

Serve hot with tofu sour cream or muhammara.

Nutritional Information (assumes 4 servings):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 223.29
Calories From Fat (35%) - 78.6

Total Fat - 8.93g
Saturated Fat - 0.71g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 645.67mg
Potassium - 477.13mg
Total Carbohydrates - 32.88g
Fiber - 5.82g
Sugar - 1.98g
Protein - 6.36g

Comments:

This traditional American fare is a favorite at my house. My husband grew up eating this food and my Southern grandmother used to make things like this all time. I think they are traditionally fried in butter but I don’t like to cook with Earth Balance. Sometimes I add caramelized onions or garlic to the fritters and that makes them a little sweeter.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    This recipe is quick, easy and good. If you don't have whole wheat pastry flour use half whole wheat and half white flour (all regular whole wheat may be too heavy unless it is pastry or sprouted spring wheat). The cornmeal is in the recipe to add a little texture but you can also substitue whole wheat flour if you prefer.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delicious! I am actually bringing them to our Thanksgiving meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am addicted to these...so delicious. Great recipe! I hope you don't mind, I shared it on my blog, (along with a link to your awesome blog!) Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails