Saturday, August 1, 2009

Whole Wheat Waffles with Flaxseeds and Triple Berry Sauce



This morning I decided to make waffles for my husband, but I wanted to make my standard whole-wheat waffle recipe even healthier.

Since flaxseeds contain omega 3’s and have been shown to reduce the tumor size in breast cancer and prostate cancer patients I wanted to add them to the waffles. I added 2 tablespoons only because that is what I put in our morning smoothie (not very technical I know). I reduced the canola oil in the original recipe since I added fat with the flaxseeds. I also substituted almond milk for soymilk because that is the milk we normally have on hand now (and it is lower calorie than soymilk). The cinnamon was added to help our bodies process the sugar from the fruit I added to the top of the waffles.

We did think these waffles were a little heavier than my standard whole-wheat recipe, but we also thought they had good crunch and flavor. I will be tweaking this recipe in the coming months to try to lighten the interior of the waffle a little, but this recipe is good enough as is, provided you remember it is a 100% whole-wheat vegan waffle. I don’t know that it is possible to make whole-wheat vegan waffles as fluffy as white flour waffles. However, you can feel good about feeding these waffles to your family.

Whole Wheat Waffles with Flaxseeds
Serves 2 big appetites or 3 regular eaters

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups of whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
12 ounces of almond milk, unsweetened
½ tablespoon of canola oil
2 tablespoons of golden flaxseeds, freshly ground

Directions:

Heat your waffle iron while you make the waffle batter.

Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon) and whisk to combine. Add the remaining ingredients (almond milk, canola oil and ground flaxseed). Whisk to combine the wet and dry ingredients. If you keep your flour in the freezer and the batter seems a little stick add a couple tablespoons of water to thin the dough a little.

Cook the waffles until to the directions for your waffle iron. Serve them while they are hot. If you are making waffles for a crowd you can hold the waffles in a 200-degree oven on a half sheet pan with a wire rack. The elevation of the wire rack keeps the waffles from getting soggy on the bottom.

I served this with a triple berry sauce and a few sliced almonds on top. The almonds were only added for crunchy texture.

Nutritional Information (assumes 2 servings):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 488.92
Calories From Fat (22%)- 107.62

Total Fat - 12.26g
Saturated Fat - 1.3g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 574.08mg
Potassium - 567.08mg
Total Carbohydrates - 80.89g
Fiber - 15.18g
Sugar - 7.16g
Protein - 19.91g

Triple Berry Sauce for Waffles
Serves 2 (or enough for the waffle recipe above)

Ingredients:

2 cups of frozen berries (I used a mix of blueberries, raspberries and Marion berries)
1 scoop of stevia
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon, ground

Directions:

Add the berries to a saucepan and cook until they begin to give up their liquid. Stir them occasionally to make certain the berries don’t stick. Continue to cook until the berries slump (lose their shape) and the juice that released from the berries thickens. This will happen in 15 minutes (of the time it takes to make the waffles). Add the stevia and cinnamon and turn off the heat. Serve the berry sauce on top the hot waffles.

Nutritional Information (assumes 2 servings):

Amount Per Serving
Calories 83.45
Calories From Fat (5%) - 3.92

Total Fat - 0.48g
Saturated Fat - 0.04g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 1.48mg
Potassium - 113.05mg
Total Carbohydrates - 21.77g
Fiber - 3.65g
Sugar - 14.45g
Protein - 1.09g

Comments:

These waffle aren’t as light and fluffy as white flour waffles. We think they are a nice compromise between taste and health. These waffles get a nice crust on the exterior from the inclusion of the agave and canola oil. They also brown well considering they don’t include egg. I am quite pleased with the 19 grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein in this waffle and berry sauce recipe. I will be tweaking this recipe in the coming months to try to lighter the interior of the waffle, just a little.

3 comments:

  1. hehehe duck ideas.(that was SOOO good) she (lilly) is at the house that we are moving into in a month or so. shes got the whole thing to herself , fully air-and-climate controlled, she is right in front of huge bay windows....spoiled?? but i bet your cats have got it pretty good also! ducks ARE hard to take care of only because of the amazing amount of poop that they "produce" its insane. ducks in captivity can live 20 yrs is what i have read, geese...50!!!! you should have seen my husbands face when he heard THAT!!!(i think he was hoping for a few....sucka) also pekin ducks (like her) have been in captivity and breed for meat for so long (2000 yrs)that the ability to fly has been bred out of them,(ahem..they are to butt heavy) and also pekins are the most poopy because they have such a huge appetite, again from breeding because they want them to get fat as quick as possible. she is so happy and content just with her little lot in life, i think that that thats why im so into her, she has taught me a lot. she has also overcome many obstacles that no animal should........omg i am certifiably....!!!!!if you ever have time, how did you decide on that breed of cat?

    and i needed this recipe last night. i made cornmeal pancakes. and they tasted like dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dirtyduck,

    Sorry to hear about your cornmeal pancakes. I haven't made those in ages. I will see if I can whip up a batch in the next few weeks.

    I think it is terrific that you love Lilly so much. I am also certifiable about my cats, so I understand completely.

    The cat breed is a very long story. I found a Turkish Angora in my backyard in 1980 and had him for 21 years. I had to do a bit of research to find out what the first cat was, I had no idea (nor did my vet). In the early 80's Turkish Angoras were even less common than now. He must have been brought home by someone traveling. They have a lot of personality which is why we got three more (which was suppose to be one cat .... but I got carried away). You can imagine how that happened.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, this was a great recipe. The waffles weren't heavy for me at all. I added a little more oil than you did, and I made a point of frothing up the flaxseeds with some water first (adding less almond milk so the total liquid was still the same), and one or both of these things seems to have done the trick.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails