Saturday, August 29, 2009

Roasted Tomatoes with Pomegranate Molasses, Sumac and Almonds



Last weekend I made slow roasted tomatoes with balsamic vinegar. Today I wanted to try a couple of variations. First I wanted to roast the tomatoes a little more quickly so I increased the oven temperature by 50%.

We love Middle Eastern food in our house so I wanted to use pomegranate molasses and sumac in this version of the tomatoes. It seems like I am always reaching for the pomegranate molasses and sumac lately. Finally I decided a few slivered almonds would be tasty and in keeping with the Middle Eastern theme.

Roasted Tomatoes with Pomegranate Molasses, Sumac and Almonds
Serves 8

Ingredients:

Approximately 17 Roma tomatoes (enough to fill a half sheet pan)
2 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses
1 tablespoon of pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
½ teaspoon of sumac powder
¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of slivered almonds

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.

Cut the Roma tomatoes in half top to bottom. Remove the stem end and the seed sacs.

Combine the pomegranate molasses, pomegranate juice (to thin the molasses), and lemon juice and whisk to combine.

Use a spoon of put a little of the juice into each tomato. I think I used about a ½ teaspoon per tomato half (so not much really). Next sprinkle the tomatoes with the sumac and kosher salt and put the pan in the oven.

Check the tomatoes in one hour to see if they are a texture you like. I roasted my tomatoes for an hour and fifteen minutes. I sprinkled the almonds onto the tomatoes just before serving so they retained their crunchy texture.

Nutritional information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 89.06
Calories From Fat (11%) - 9.75

Total Fat - 1.14g
Saturated Fat - 0.12g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 73.26mg
Potassium - 695.7mg
Total Carbohydrates - 19.43g
Fiber - 3.58g
Sugar - 12.43g
Protein - 2.77g

Comments:

If you like Middle Eastern food I think you will really like these tomatoes. The sweet and tart flavor from the pomegranate molasses works well with the tomatoes, lemon juice and sumac. The flavor of these tomatoes is complex and yet familiar. The crunchy almonds are a nice textural variation next to the soft tomatoes. I think this is my new go to tomato side dish for when I am having Middle Eastern food.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    You can leave the seeds in if you choose. By removing the seeds you are also removing the seed sacs that carry a lot of excess moisture. This allows the tomatoes to dry out more quickly. I do the same thing when I make my homemade oven dried tomatoes.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, do you do anything with them after? is that going to go into your veg stock? my bird loves the juicy insides of fruit, grapes and tomatoes are his fav. he tilts his head up and squeezes the juice into his bill....he can eat with a spoon also....brag brag brag. haha jk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    You are totally getting the hang of this! Absolutely you could put them in your veg stock. If you skin tomatoes for any reason you can put them in the veg stock too.

    But sounds like you need to give a lot of them to the bird. What kind is he? You need to put a picture of him on your blog.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails