Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Silken Tofu, Tahini and Garlic Dip/Sauce



Tonight’s dinner is low in fat so I decided to make a rich topping for the dish and this is what I came up with. I was blown away by the texture and flavor of this sauce/dip. Tahini and garlic are noticeable but not overpowering flavors. Lemon is a subtle background note. This dip tastes nothing like tofu. I think this might be my new favorite sauce. I can see this as a dip for raw veggies or as a topping for any Middle Eastern dish that would normally contain strained yogurt.

Silken Tofu, Tahini and Garlic Dip/Sauce
Makes approximately 29 tablespoons

Ingredients:

12.3 ounce package of silken tofu, organic and firm
1 tablespoon of canola oil
1/2 garlic clove, grated
2 tablespoons of tahini
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
¼ teaspoon of kosher salt

Directions:

Put all the ingredients in the food processor and blend until completely smooth. Refrigerate until you are ready to use. This will keep for a week in the refrigerator based on the keeping power of my prior silken tofu dips.

Nutritional Information (per tablespoon):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 18.47
Calories From Fat (64%) - 11.91

Total Fat - 1.37g
Saturated Fat - 0.16g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 20.69mg
Potassium - 30.82mg
Total Carbohydrates - 0.63g
Fiber - 0.08g
Sugar - 0.17g
Protein - 1.04g

Comments:

This sauce is much better than I anticipated. The texture is rich and thick. I love the subtle tahini flavor with the background of lemon. Next time I may eliminate the canola to see what happens to the texture. Overall, I am thrilled with this sauce and will find many ways to use this. If you want to reduce the calories and fat use the low fat silken tofu.

4 comments:

  1. Alicia,

    I just made this sauce, and it's delicious. I usually make tahini sauce with tahini, lemon juice, oil, garlic etc...but I get mixed results...sometimes too thick, sometimes too much of one flavor...but this is so smooth and flavor balance is perfect.
    Thanks for the recipe. Tonight, I'm using it instead of sour cream over a simple cucumber and onion salad that I used to eat when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thanks so much for letting me know you like the sauce!

    I used to make the version without the tofu too, also with mixed results. I appreciate knowing it wasn't just me having problems.

    I bet the sauce is great with cucumber and onions. Since I have plenty of the sauce and cucumbers I am going to try that tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran across your blog while trying to find a silken tofu dip, and I made the dip with a few moderations (added cumin, used more lemon juice, substituted olive oil for the canola, sprinkled pine nuts on top). It is absolutely delicious and much lighter than hummus (not to mention way easier)--thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails