Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday at the Market


(pictured: Lunch today, salad with falafel)

This morning starting like every Sunday with a trip to the local farm market downtown. As usual I purchased an almost ridiculous amount of fresh vegetables. There are three different types of squash, kale (for kale chips), bok choy, green onions, tomatoes, eggplant, fresh shitake, purple broccoli, mesclun, leaf lettuce (for lettuce wraps), onions and turnips. We walked out of the market with six reusable grocery bags stuffed full of fresh produce. How two people manage to eat all of this each week (plus more from Costco) I have no idea. I love buying local produce each week. It will be very sad when the market closes for the season. We have gotten very accustomed to the quality local organic produce and I always hate when the market closes for the winter.

Given all the produce from our trip to the market this morning, we had a big salad today for lunch today. I am not going to post the recipe because I didn’t measure anything. As usual I topped the salad with something warm, in this case falafel from the freezer that I reheated in the microwave. The salad also contained, mesclun, fresh tomato, cold cooked tomato sauce, cucumber, shelled hempseeds, avocado and creamy pesto dressing. Hempseeds were added for omega 3 fatty acids. Avocado was included for monounsaturated fat. Since avocado has been linked to prostate health I like to add it salads so I know my hubby eats it (he isn’t a fan so I always wonder what happens to the avocado when I send it in his lunch).

If you are wondering why I would add cold cooked tomato sauce to a salad that is something I tried last week. We were low on fresh tomatoes and I had some leftover sauce in the refrigerator so I added it to my salad. Much to my surprise it was better than raw tomatoes. My red sauce had a bit of a punch from the red pepper flakes, and that is nice in a salad. Additionally it moistens the salad without adding fat. I tried it on the hubby this weekend and he has decided he prefers this to a salad with only fresh tomatoes too. Since the lycopene in cooked tomatoes is more bioavailable this is another reason to add it to your salad. I know it sounds odd, but it is really good. The next time you don’t have fresh tomatoes, but you do have chunky tomato sauce give it a try. You may be surprised how good it is.


(pictured: Dinner last night, apple leek seitan sausage with dijon cabbage)

Last night for dinner we had a quick ten-minute meal, which is why I didn’t post the recipe. All I did was reheat two apple and leek seitan sausages in one pan and make a fast cabbage dish in another pan. The cabbage dish included water sautéed red onion, 8 cups of shredded green cabbage, 1 teaspoon of cumin seed, 1 teaspoon of fennel seed and 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard. This was cooked until tender, or about 5 minutes. My husband loved the apple and leek seitan sausages as much as I did. In fact he wants me to make more this week for the freezer.

I am cooking dinner for my husband and I and my parents this evening. There will be two or three recipes from dinner tonight, although I may not get them all posted until tomorrow. It will all depend on whether my husband decides to work after dinner tonight or not. If he decides to take a break we will watch a movie this evening.

I hope you are all having a good day.

2 comments:

  1. I used to LOVE to go to farmer markets once a week and carried back home with bags full of fresh veggies and fruits. I dont go that often anymore because my family didn't help me eat them, and they go bad quickly. I've tried to make a list and buy only what I need but every time I go there, I end up buy too much!

    Your salad looks and sounds wonderful. I love the idea of using cooked tomato sauce, I'll try that. Talking about avocado, my husband and my son always say NO to avocado but I always buy a bag from Costco because I use it for my green smoothie everyday, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    Thanks for the compliment on my salads. I make them often so there are many variations for me to photograph.

    What is it with men and avocados? Why can't they eat things that are good for them? I posted my recipe for gazpacho with avocado earlier this year if you want to try it. The avocado gets blended in the tomato so it disappears. My husband eats the gazpacho without complaint so you may want to try it.

    If you are trying to get your men to eat more veggies try making dip. I find most men will eat veggies when they can dip it in something. I serve the raw veggies with hummus and any of the salad dressing variations I have posted. It seems to work well with the men I know. You might want to give it a try.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails