Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cabbage, Apple and Walnut Slaw with Miso and Cider Dressing



My husband has a new obsession with miso so I knew I needed to make a miso dressing for the salad tonight. Then Rose posted a recipe she made last night using cabbage and miso. I had part of a head of cabbage in the refrigerator so slaw it was tonight. In place of the mirin I have been using in the miso dressing I decided to try apple cider tonight since I was using apple in the slaw. Apple cider adds a nice natural sweetness and a distinct apple flavor. Walnut oil was added to give the dressing a little fatty mouth feel. It seems appropriate to use walnut oil since the hubby wanted walnuts in the slaw. This was a very fast salad to put together and the four of us ate all the salad tonight with dinner. Here is what I did.

Cabbage, Apple and Walnut Slaw with Miso and Cider Dressing
Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons white miso
4 tablespoons apple cider
1 tablespoon walnut oil
8 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
4 apples, cored and finely sliced
½ cup cilantro, minced
¼ cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped

Directions:

Whisk the miso, cider and walnut oil until creamy. Combine the dressing and the salad ingredients and toss to coat the salad evenly with the dressing. Top the salad with the walnuts and serve cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 236.99
Calories From Fat (35%) - 82.42

Total Fat - 9.66g
Saturated Fat - 1.06g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 677.68mg
Potassium - 566.35mg
Total Carbohydrates - 36.99g
Fiber - 9.36g
Sugar - 21.29g
Protein - 5.88g

Comments:

Miso dressing works really well with slaw. Thanks for the idea Rose! :) Next time I may add a few raisins to this slaw but I also really liked it just the way it was.

Each serving of this slaw has more than 100mg of calcium, 90mcg of folate, and 140mcg of vitamin K. One of the reason slaw is such a healthy item to add to your menu is that cabbage is a member of the cruciferous family and is more healthy when lightly cooked or raw. I kept the skin on the apples because the nutrition in the apple is concentrated on and just under the skin.

I will be back in a little while with the main dish from tonight.

6 comments:

  1. This looks really good, the cider is a nice touch. It makes me want to munch on some cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thanks! I thought you would like it since we both love apple cider.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum--I just so happen to have a HUGE head of cabbage that I got from the farmers market yesterday sitting in my fridge :-) I think 1/2 of it is going to be made into this slaw! Your cabbage looks so thinly sliced--I don't know that I will be able to get it that fine, but I am going to try!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,

    I used my biggest Santoku knife to slice the cabbage. I find it easier to slice more thinly when I take my time.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that salad looks wonderful! I read this post on Sat. night and I went over to Rose's blog. Then I forgot to come back to give you a comment:)

    I really love this recipe, I'm always a BIG fan of cabbage; cooked or raw I love them all, YUM! It's such a great lunch idea to bring to work. Thanks, Alicia:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oraphan,

    I am glad you went over to look at Rose's blog. When I put that link in I was hoping you would go over to see that she linked to your blog.

    Great idea to take this to work for lunch. We didn't have any leftover or that would be a great idea. I guess I need to make more since it disappeared so quickly.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails