Friday, November 27, 2009

Brussels Sprouts and Red Onions in Lemon Sauce with Almonds



This is one of the dishes that changed from my original Thanksgiving menu. I thought I had stashed a jar of chestnuts in the pantry but when I went to get them they weren’t there. Since I hadn’t planned well I changed the brussels sprouts dish on the fly. Normally I would make my brussels sprouts with agave and mustard but I thought we had enough sweet dishes on the table so I wanted something that was all savory. Lemon and almonds both work beautifully with brussels sprouts so that is what I went with.

The men in my family love brussels sprouts so they are somewhat of a requirement for fall dinners. Since I like lemon this recipe also worked well for me. Remember to cook the brussels sprouts as little as possible to retain the most nutrition. Since brussels sprouts are part of the cruciferous vegetable family they are good for preventing cancer when lightly cooked. Here is what I made.

Brussels Sprouts and Red Onions in Lemon Sauce with Almonds
Makes 8 approximately ¾ cup servings

Ingredients:

2 pounds of brussels sprouts
½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups vegetables stock
1 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons almonds, sliced
1 pinch Italian finishing salt

Directions:

Clean the brussels sprouts by removing the bottom of the sprout with a sharp paring knife and removing the two exterior leaves. Cut each sprout in half, top to bottom. Steam the sprouts until they are just beginning to get tender (about 8 minutes). They will continue to cook in a sauce so you don’t want to take them too far when you steam them.

Cook the onion in a little vegetable stock (about a ½ cup) until it is soft. Add the remaining vegetable stock, lemon zest and lemon juice. Add the dissolved cornstarch and bring the sauce to a simmer so that the sauce will reach its maximum thickness.

To serve, plate the sprouts and sauce and top with the almonds and a pinch of the Italian finishing salt and serve hot.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 74.07
Calories From Fat (17%) - 12.52

Total Fat - 1.49g
Saturated Fat - 0.16g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 65.9mg
Potassium - 468.23mg
Total Carbohydrates - 13.74g
Fiber - 4.81g
Sugar - 2.81g
Protein - 4.43g

Comments:

The sprouts were well received at dinner last night. While everyone loves the version I make with agave and mustard these also disappeared fairly quickly. I liked the acidity in the sauce and the crunchiness of the almonds. Overall this is a nice well-rounded dish.

Each serving of this dish contains more than 800IU of vitamin A, 100mg of vitamin C, 70mcg of folate, and 200mcg of vitamin K. Not too shabby for a small serving of veggies.

Unrelated Note:

I need to get back to cleaning. However, I will be back later today with another recipe. I hope you are all having a great day.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks incredibly delicious! That's why they disappeared quickly. The recipe sounds very easy and healthy. I'll add this recipe to my to-do-list, thanks Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    I am so glad you like the way this sounds. I liked it and brussels sprouts aren't my favorite vegetable.

    As you probably guessed I was trying to keep the menu as healthy as I could since Thanksgiving is usually such a food fest. My goal was that no one would have indigestion after dinner from a high fat meal and I think I was successful. At least Dan and I were fine.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of the few people I personally know who love brussel sprouts. I have a huge bag in my fridge, think I shall put this recipe to use. Great comforting dish, and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for a new way to make brussels sprouts. Definitely will try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dani,

    My husband loves sprouts. He would eat them everyday. I am okay with them, but certainly don't love them like you do, or he does. I would recommend you try the mustard and agave sprouts. Even the non sprout lovers enjoy that recipe.

    This dish with the lemon sauce would also be good over brown rice if that is something you enjoy.

    Heather,

    Nice to meet you. Another sprout fan I see. Thanks for commenting.

    I am always looking for new ways to make sprouts since my hubby loves them so much. I expect to buy more sprouts tomorrow at the farmers market so there will be another new recipe sometime this week.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this for the family, omitting the almonds. We found the sauce a bit too lemony and thick, but I appreciate the inspiration, and I'm going to try a variation on it in the future. I've enjoyed browsing your blog in the last few weeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cindy,

    Thanks for commenting and I happy to hear you are enjoying the blog.

    You should know that I have a lemon obsession like some people have with chocolate. All of my lemon recipes are "very lemony". The hubby and I both like our food to be a bit on the acidic side. It makes it easier for us to keep the sodium down in our food. I wanted you to know there is a theme to my cooking so you knew how to modifiy it for you in the future.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Alicia. Today's post on the clementine-poppy sprouts makes me want to go out and buy some more brussels sprouts, usually a twice-a-year purchase for me because I'm not crazy about them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy,

    You are welcome.

    I am not a sprout lover either, but I am married to one ..... so I adapt. He eats eggplant and olives for me and I eat sprouts for him.

    The subtle sweetness from the clementine segments worked well with the sprouts. Both the hubby and my father really loved the combination.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails