Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Indian Inspired Cabbage and Peas over Yellow Rice



Today was a hectic day at my house and I had not planned dinner. While this is not unusual sometimes it is more problematic than others. I had been so focused on Thanksgiving I couldn’t think of anything to make tonight. When I saw what the Shenandoah Vegan had for lunch today I knew that was the answer.

Indian food is so amazingly healthy due to the large amount of vegetables and the generous use of spice (particularly turmeric). Since turmeric has been linked to both preventing cancer, slowing the spread and working with chemotherapy to make it more effective I like to include it to our diet when I can. Turmeric is not generally well absorbed. However by sautéing it in a little oil with a generous amount of black pepper the body is better able to absorb the turmeric.

Our dinner tonight is not authentic Indian food, at least not that I know of. I combined these ingredients based on what I had in the house after seeing Shenandoah’s lunch. While it isn’t authentic, the hubby and I enjoyed it and would definitely make it again. Here is what I made.

Indian Inspired Cabbage and Peas over Yellow Rice
Serves 3

Rice Ingredients:

½ tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 cup brown basmati rice, preferred (I used short grain brown rice)
2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves

Cabbage and Peas Ingredients:

1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon coriander seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
¼ teaspoon fenugreek
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
14 ounces canned diced tomato
8 cups finely shredded savoy cabbage
1 cup green peas, frozen
2 tablespoons cashews, for garnish

Directions:

Combine the turmeric, olive oil and the black pepper and sauté for a minute or two. Add the remaining crushed red pepper flakes and brown rice and stir to coat with oil. Now add the water, cinnamon stick and bay leaves and bring the water to a boil (with pan covered). When water comes to a boil reduce to a simmer and cook until the water has been absorbed (probably about 40 minutes). After the water has been absorbed turn off the heat and allow the rice to stand in the covered pan for 5 minutes then fluff and serve.

While the rice is cooking water sauté the red onion until soft and water has evaporated. Now add the turmeric, olive oil, mustard seed, cumin, coriander, asafetida, fenugreek, and red pepper flakes and sauté for a minute. Add the canned tomato and cook for a 14 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. When the rice is 10 to 15 minutes from being ready add the cabbage and cook on low to wilt. Remember that cruciferous vegetables are most nutritious the less they are cooked. Add the peas a few minutes before serving (they only need to heat through).

When serving top with the cashews.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 440.15
Calories From Fat (16%) - 68.55

Total Fat - 8.09g
Saturated Fat - 1.46g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 117.06mg
Potassium - 1026.64mg
Total Carbohydrates - 83.99g
Fiber - 15.8g
Sugar - 14.57g
Protein - 13.55g

Comments:

While this isn’t an authentic dish we both enjoyed it. I had intended this to be two servings but it was so large when finished I decided to save a 1/3 of it for a quick snack tomorrow while we are making dinner.

The nutritional information for this meal is fairly impressive. Each serving contains more than 2,300IU of vitamin A, 110mg of vitamin C, 210mg of calcium, 120mcg of folate, 200mcg of vitamin K, 370mg of phosphorus, 160mg of magnesium and 17mcg of selenium.

I hope you all have a happy and health Thanksgiving. I can't wait to see what you are having for your holiday meal. Have a great evening and a fabulous 4 day weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Alicia! You're so amazing! This yellow rice dish looks so fantastic and it sounds healthy and delicious. I'll add this wonderful recipe to my collection too, hope it's okay with you:)

    Wishing you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving! I'll come back Friday night:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    You are so nice! Thank you so much for the compliment.

    Of course it is fine with me that you add this recipe to your blog list. I hope you like it.

    I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving too! I can't wait to hear what you decide to cook.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! That looks much better than what I had yesterday. I'll bet it tastes better too. I might have to try making it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shenandoah,

    I am glad you approve. Thanks for the inspiration last night. I really was on Thanksgiving planning overload last night and your post about the cabbage and peas was perfect timing for me.

    Have a great Thanksgiving,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Indian food! I am going to have to try out that cabbage recipe--thanks so much for posting it.

    Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving :-)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through another blog, and wanted to encourage you to keep posting! I will read your previous (& numerous!) posts, with particular interest in cancer prevention. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney,

    We love Indian food too. It is my favorite, after Italian of course.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

    Debra,

    Thanks for the Thanksgiving well wishes. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

    ccrock,

    Nice to meet you. I always love having new people comment. Is there any particular cancer cell line that you are concerned about? If yes let me know and I will see if I have any articles you may be interested in reading.

    All of my recipes, unless otherwise noted, are made with health and cancer prevention in mind. Every once in a while I will make something (like tofu chocolate mousse or whole wheat pound cake, just for flavor) but most of my recipes are all about health and nutrition. I hope you like them.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. this post inspired my thanksgiving "fried rice" dish, but healthy style ofcourse! the cabbage and peas, and onion, it was my fav dish of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle,

    Thanks so much for letting me know this was the inspiration for your Thanksgiving dinner. You made my day! I hope Walter liked it too.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails