Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Curried Squash Seeds



I always cook the squash seeds the next day after we have had squash. This time I decided to dehydrate them based on a comment Debra made on her site Vegan Family Style to see how we liked them prepared that way.

This method is much easier than baking the seeds because you don’t need to watch the oven. I love that there is no risk of burning the seeds. I added a little oil so that the seeds would get a little crunchy and it worked like a charm. Curry powder was added because turmeric is thought to prevent Alzheimer’s and fight cancer. That is what I call a double duty ingredient. Here is what I did.

Curried Squash Seeds
Make ½ cup – 8 single tablespoon servings

Ingredients:

squash seeds from 3 acorn squash (approximately ½ cup)
water to soak seeds in
1 teaspoon canola oil
½ teaspoon curry powder
freshly ground pepper to taste

Directions:

Remove the membrane that holds the squash seeds together. Soak the seeds in plenty of water for at least 4 hours. Drain the water thoroughly and dry the seeds with paper towel.

Toss the dried seeds with canola oil until the seeds are evenly coated. Add the curry powder and black pepper and toss to coat.

Place the seeds in the dehydrator until crispy. I had these in the dehydrator with the kale chips and they were both ready in about 10 hours.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 52.3
Calories From Fat (73%) - 38.22

Total Fat - 4.54g
Saturated Fat - 0.79g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 1.66mg
Potassium - 72.79mg
Total Carbohydrates - 1.67g
Fiber - 0.4g
Sugar - 0.09g
Protein - 2.14g

Comments:

These would be good to eat as a snack, and I had of few of them that way. Most of these will go on our daily salad. I like to add different nuts and seeds to our salads to provide an additional form of plant protein. Curried squash seeds would also be good on top of a creamy soup, or on a risotto made with squash.

5 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! That sounds so tasty. I don't have dehydrator but I'll try this recipe and bake in the oven. At first, I wanted to make your acorn recipe with apple and walnuts tonight but we have a lot of leftovers from last night, I'll have to try it later. And I will use acorn seeds for this recipe!
    p.s. I spent almost all afternoon to try to post about "Blog Awards", it was so hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been eating a lot of squash and had been wondering why people dont eat the seeds. i would cut it in half and scoop them out in the back yard for piggy and duck and the pup so they havent been going to waste, buuut i wanted to try them also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oraphan,

    I used the acorn squash seeds for this recipe. I normally bake them, but wanted to try the dehydrator because I had it out making kale chips. Both methods work fine.

    I know what you mean about how hard it is to give the blog awards. It took me more hours than I care to admit. However, when people starting replying it was a little like giving Christmas presents. Definitely worth the time and effort.

    Michelle,

    I think people don't eat the seeds because it is a little bit of work. And ... most Americans don't seem to be seed eaters. That is such a shame since they are such a healthy food.

    At least your seeds didn't go to waste before. How are your animal companions doing? All well I hope. BTW, one of my cats wants to try squash seeds but I am afraid they will get stuck in this throat (he is so little) so I don't let him have them. He gets a plain kale chip instead (which he does eat). They are just like little kids, they want what mom and dad have.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. how adorable! kats that eat kale, amazing.yea maybe you could grind them up or something...but then that wouldnt be the same..."mom and dad dont need to have theirs ground up" oh go to this website
    http://icanhascheezburger.com/
    chocolate shoestings posted it awhile back. i made one but with piggy

    http://cheezburger.com/View.aspx?aid=2749052416

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle,

    I have been to the site before. Little Dan thinks it is entertaining and has pointed it out to us before. As soon as I reply to all the comments from this evening I will check out the specific link you listed.

    thanks,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails