Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Miso Dressed Salad with Apple, Raisin, Hazelnut and Seitan



After spending most of the day in the kitchen I wasn’t in the mood to make anything that took much time. When I want something quick I frequently turn to salad, which is what we had tonight for dinner.

I could live on salad and frequently do. Salads are probably my favorite food, followed closely by soups and stews. However, they can be a little boring. I am still completely in love with miso salad dressing. Thanks so much Oraphan for posting your recipe a couple of weeks ago. Without you I don’t know long it would have taken me to make miso dressing. Both the hubby and I are hooked.

Since it is fall, and we have about 50 apples in the house I decided to add those to the salad. They work so well with the miso. I used hazelnuts and hazelnut oil tonight for a change. Golden raisins are so pretty I tossed those on as well. Here is what I made tonight.

Miso Dressed Salad with Apple, Raisin, Hazelnut and Seitan
Serves 2

Ingredients:

1 ½ tablespoons white miso
1 ½ tablespoons mirin
½ tablespoon hazelnut oil (or other nut or canola oil)
2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
10 cups mesclun
2 tablespoon golden raisins
2 tablespoons hazelnut
1 seitan cutlet with rosemary and sage, sliced thinly on the diagonal

Directions:

Whisk together the miso, mirin and hazelnut oil. Add the apple slices and toss to coat. Add the mesclun to the apple and dressing and toss to coat.

Plate the greens and apples. Top with raisins, hazelnuts and seitan slices.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 333.29
Calories From Fat (25%) - 84.49

Total Fat - 10.36g
Saturated Fat - 0.98g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 636.88mg
Potassium - 874.47mg
Total Carbohydrates - 49.65g
Fiber - 10.05g
Sugar - 21.78g
Protein - 19.65g

Comments:

Ever since I made that first miso dressing I have been hooked. It is very difficult now to make other dressings I love this one so much. Sorry for the recipe rut.

Each serving of this salad contains more than 1,000IU of vitamin A, 100mg of vitamin C, 120mg of calcium, 170mcg of folate, 130mg of phosphorus, and 12mcg of selenium. Not bad for 333 calories.

Unrelated note:

It is getting late here, after 11pm and it is time for me to start slowing down. I will be back tomorrow with more cooking updates as I have a few minutes. Have a great evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails