Monday, November 23, 2009

Afternoon Snack: Apple with Walnut and Brazil Nut Butter and Dried Cranberries



As I said earlier I am definitely more of a snacker than a meal eater during the middle of the day. Whenever I have a light lunch, like today, I always need an afternoon snack about 3 or 4 hours later. This apple and nut butter snack is my current favorite. My husband got me started eating this and it is really good. Here is my quick afternoon snack.

Apple with Walnut and Brazil Nut Butter and Dried Cranberries
Serves 1

Ingredients:

1 crisp apple, sliced into quarters and cored
2 tablespoons of walnut and Brazil nut butter
½ tablespoon dried cranberries

Directions:

Smear each apple wedge with walnut butter and top with dried cranberries.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 306.11
Calories From Fat (48%) - 146.45

Total Fat - 17.49g
Saturated Fat - 2.08g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 27.2mg
Potassium - 284.36mg
Total Carbohydrates - 38.14g
Fiber - 6.5g
Sugar - 15.02g
Protein - 4.28g

Comments:

Not only does this taste good but also it is also quite filling. It does a good job of satiating my hunger until dinner. This woman-sized version of the snack contains over 96mcg of selenium. When my hubby eats this he uses double the amount of nut butter.

This is a great snack to pack in the car when you are out running errands. It fits well in a small cooler bag with a knife and a cold pack. Whenever I need to go out for a while and don’t know the area well enough to know where to buy healthy food I carry this with me.

Unrelated note:

About 11 pm last night my hubby felt he needed a snack and wanted an apple and nut butter. Of course we didn’t have any in the frig, which meant I needed to make some. For the first time the hubby was in the room when I made the nut butter and he saw the little squirt of agave that I add to take down the tannic flavor of the walnuts. Much to my surprise he asked me to try stevia in the next batch of nut butter. This is quite remarkable since he is normally the one that doesn’t want me to make his favorite recipes healthier. At the rate we go through nut butter I will be making another batch either Wednesday or Thursday.

I will be certain to let you all know how it impacts the flavor and nutritional information. More importantly, my husband will let me know what he thinks. If the flavor doesn’t measure up I will hear about it right away.

6 comments:

  1. YUM! I would love to have some of this yummy snack. I'll give it a try as soon as Santa gives me a new food processor:) Can't wait to find out what your husband will say about the nut butter with stevia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    I hope you get a new food processor for Christmas. I have also made it in my big blender. If you have a Vitamix or similar blender that will also make the nut butter smooth if you don't want to wait.

    I am still in shock that the hubby suggested trying the stevia. It was one of those surreal twilight zone moments. He has really gotten into the "health thing" with me.

    have a great evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! I'll have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veggie85,

    Thanks! :) Walnut butter is the best. I first made it for the omega 3's but now both the hubby and I are addicted. It is so much tastier than peanut or almond butter, in my opinion. The brazil nuts are a recent addition for the selenium (cancer protection).

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea, I love apples and cranberries, and any nut butter is OK in my book. I've never tried brazil nut butter before, I love the raw nuts so I'm sure it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dani,

    The brazil nuts don't change the flavor of the nut butter much at all, if anything they take the tannin leave down a little. I used to make an all walnut butter but added the brazil nuts for selenium.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails