Thursday, November 5, 2009

Oatmeal with Apple, Cranberry, Walnut and Vanilla



Yesterday was crazy for me running errands and going to cooking class. Of course after cooking class I had to chat with my friends. I didn’t get home until almost 11pm, so it was a long day for me. The topic for yesterday’s class was Thanksgiving soups. We made a butternut and sweet potato soup, onion with an Italian twist and Escarole and Tiny Meatball (Italian Wedding Soup). You can expect to see my lower fat vegan variations of these soon. Even though the purpose of the class was soups to accompany Thanksgiving, I would tend to serve these soups for dinner as the main meal. Then again, I love soup so that probably isn’t a surprise. The most surprising thing from class last night (from a flavor perspective) was the inclusion of truffle scented cream on top the sweet potato soup. Truffle soy cream will definitely be making an appearance in my kitchen very soon.

Some food related news from yesterday I wanted to share. I took some of the walnut butter and garlic and cheese kale chips to my friends Sue and John yesterday. When I talked to Sue this morning, she told me the walnut butter is almost gone. Clearly John liked the walnut butter. Additionally, Sue told me they liked the kale chips and she is going to make some in the oven with the kale she bought last week from the farm market. I am always so thrilled when other people embrace my “healthy” food that I had to share the news. You guys made my day. :)

I would have posted more detail yesterday for the oatmeal but I hadn’t measured anything and was rushing to get out of the house. Since I got an email request for the nutritional information on the oatmeal and the specific ingredients I decided to make it again this morning and this time I measured everything. My husband was thrilled to see oatmeal two days in a row. I made the entire dish this morning (apples and all) so that I could tell you how long it would take. This dish came together in under 10 minutes and much of that was waiting for the microwave.

As you probably know I included the flaxseeds and walnuts for healthy omega 3 fatty acids which are anti-inflammatory. Walnuts and apples were included because they are both beneficial for combating cancer and are high in phytonutrients in general. Cranberries were added for the autumnal feel and because they contain ellagic acid that inhibits blood vessel formation to cancerous tumors. Anthocyanidins in cranberries also promote cancer cells to commit suicide. Cranberries are one my little cancer one two punch foods. My husband really enjoyed this oatmeal yesterday and today. Here is what I did

Oatmeal with Apple, Cranberry, Walnut and Vanilla
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 apples, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
¼ cup whole cranberries, fresh or frozen,
½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
¼ teaspoon ginger, powder
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal, dry
2 cups water
2 tablespoons golden flaxseeds, freshly ground
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons agave

Directions:

Combine the apples, cranberries, cinnamon, and ginger in a microwave proof bowl. Microwave on high until the cranberries are soft. Mine were cooked in 3 minutes. Set aside.

Combine the oatmeal and water and microwave until cooked. This took 2 minutes in my microwave.

Grind the flaxseeds while the oatmeal cooks.

Top the cooked oatmeal with flaxseeds and stir to combine. Stir the vanilla into the apples and top the oatmeal with the apples. Finish each serving with a drizzle of agave and serve.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 379.13
Calories From Fat (33%) - 126.45

Total Fat - 14.95g
Saturated Fat - 1.55g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 15.56mg
Potassium - 408.43mg
Total Carbohydrates - 58.2g
Fiber - 13.56g
Sugar - 15.98g
Protein - 9.24g

Comments:

This is a very quick breakfast with a decided autumnal feel. I love the addition of the cranberries, which provide a nice tartness to the dish. Vanilla was added for the aroma. I love the smell of vanilla so I like to add it where it is appropriate.

I need to get a few things done today since I am behind from being out most of the day yesterday. Since the weather is cool today I think I am going to make soup. I like to eat light after cooking class so I am thinking a nice Asian inspired soup tonight may be on the menu. Hopefully since I put this I print I won’t change my mind before dinnertime.

I hope you are all having a happy and healthy day. It is time for me to go exercise. I picked up a DVD from the library on Budokon I want to try out. I have never done Budokon before so I am expecting it to kick my butt. I will be back later.

2 comments:

  1. Those soups sound wonderful; I'm especially interested in the onion soup with an Italian twist and the Italian Wedding Soup; I can't wait to see how you veganize them.

    I haven't been organized enough over the past few days to cook from recipes; I've just been on auto-pilot in the kitchen. But I'm hoping to try out several items this weekend, including the apple-leek sausages everyone is raving about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    All during cooking class I make notes of how I can veganize and reduce the fat in the recipes without compromising the flavor. I am going to try to make all three of the soups during the next week. At least that is the plan.

    I hope things aren't too hectic at your house right now. I understand auto-pilot in the kitchen. That was how I always cooked until I started the blog. It is much faster and easier when you don't have the time to record and measure everything.

    You must try the apple and leek sausages since they were inspired by your suggestion. I can't wait to hear what you and John think of the recipe.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails