Thursday, November 5, 2009

Does Exercise Boost Immunity?

This article from the NYT last month is one I thought was particularly interesting. I emailed it to my husband but forgot to post to the link to it on the blog in during all the chaos that was Vegan MoFo.

If you don’t want to read the article the bottom line is that strenuous exercise suppresses the immune system but moderate exercise seems to stimulate the immune system. This coincides with other things that I have read that suggest that something as simple as a brisk 10 minute walk can increase the your natural killer cell numbers and activity. According to this abstract the increase happens after 6 minutes. Prior studies have shown the increase in natural killer cells has dissipated 3 hours after the activity has ended.

I think this is a good reason to get up from our computers at least every three hours and take a brisk 10 minute walk. While these quick spurts of exercise may not prevent the flu or cancer, but it certainly can’t hurt. If nothing else, it feels good to get up and move around.

6 comments:

  1. what a great reminder! Thanks, Alicia! I've been having a bad habit since I started blogging. I always think about what to eat and jot down recipes I find online. I've completely stopped exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    I think all bloggers (all Americans really) have trouble finding/making time to exercise. If I don't make an serious effort to exercise it doesn't happen for me either. In the past when I have signed up for classes and paid in advance that seened to work since I didn't want to waste the money.

    Now I set a timer for 50 minutes and when it goes off I run up and down my three flights of stairs a few times and either do sit ups, push ups, squats or dips. It helps to get my blood pumping and it makes me feel better too! Additionally I try to do one exercise DVD a day (I have a big collection and always seem to buy more). BTW, budokon was fun yesterday. I may do that again today. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the combination of yoga, martial arts and meditation. You should look for it at your library and see if they have it. I like to get DVD's from the library and try them out before I buy them. I have bought too many that I didn't like so I like to test drive them first now.

    What have you tried that seems to work for you? I am always looking for new ideas. Exercise isn't something that I enjoy. I need to "trick" myself into doing it. If I had to rely on doing what I enjoyed it would never happen. Can't wait to hear your tips.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a stationary bike right here in my own home, I've not touched it for about a year. I used to go for a long walk in the neighborhood and ride a bike with my husband on my day-off. I went to yoga class and exercise classes and even went to "curves", a health club for women (30-minuite work out). Now you've inspired me to go back on track with my exercise routine. I think I'll start with my stationary bike 30 minutes a day while watching TV and start to do a long walk with my husband again. Sorry I don't really have any good tips for you but I think I enjoy walking and riding a bike with my husband the most!
    p.s. I love the idea of getting DVD from the library, I'll do that and will let you know what I pick:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oraphan,

    I have an exercise bike at home too and it does not get used as much as it should. My hubby rides it sometimes while he watches a movie, but I get bored.

    We (the hubby and I) like to bike rides and take long walks together too. Those are both things that we are more likely to do when the weather is a little warmer. It was 32 degrees here this morning. Far too cold for outside activities in my opinion.

    A friend of mine turned me on the library last year and I love it. I hadn't been to the library since college before then. Now I love to go and pick up cookbooks and exercise DVDs. It is great to get to "preview" them before I buy. I can't wait to hear what you pick. The one I have been looking for is "30 day Shred" by Jillian Michaels.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails