Friday, November 20, 2009

Chocolate Mousse - Reduced Sugar with Bourbon



This is hands down my husband’s favorite recipe. Using tofu in chocolate mousse results in the most wonderful creamy mousse. The chocolate chips make the mousse thick and rich. I make many different versions of this chocolate mousse, which you will find here and here and here. This version cuts back on the sweetener by replacing half of it with stevia. I try not to use much sugar in my recipes because sugar feeds cancer. This recipe seems to be the right balance of agave and stevia. This mousse is not deadly sweet. The mousse retains an almost bittersweet feeling, which my hubby and I both like. If you like your desserts more sweet you can add additional agave to taste.

We are having dinner tonight with one of our good friend, Deirdre, and her new guy Rob. We love Deirdre but she has some “quirky ideas about food”. Whenever we get together I like to get Deirdre to try new foods that she thinks she doesn’t like. Tonight’s new food is tofu. Deirdre is convinced she hates tofu. In fact we have had many conversations about her hatred of tofu. Needless to say I am taking a big risk with the tofu chocolate mousse. But, I am never one to play it safe so we will see what happens tonight. I will come back and update the post later this evening with our tofu hater’s reaction to the chocolate mousse. Here is what I made this afternoon.

Chocolate Mousse - Reduced Sugar with Bourbon
Makes 5 large servings

Ingredients:

2 boxes (12.3 ounces) of Mori Nu organic silken tofu, firm
4 tablespoons agave
4 scoops stevia powder (or substitute with 4 tablespoons of agave)
1 pinch sea salt
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons bourbon (can use rum, frangelico, kahula, or noccino)
½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated (about 1/3 of a whole nutmeg)
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Place everything except the chips in your food processor and process until smooth.

Put the chips in a microwave proof bowl and heat on 30% power until the chips are completely soft. This took about 6 minutes in my microwave. I heat them for 1 minute and check the texture and add more time until they are soft.

Scrape the melted chocolate into the food processor with the other mousse ingredients, and puree to completely combine.

Pour the chocolate mousse into 5 separate containers and cover with plastic wrap and cool completely before serving. They should be ready to eat in two hours or less.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 238.21
Calories From Fat (40%) - 95.72

Total Fat - 11.56g
Saturated Fat - 5.17g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 114.74mg
Potassium - 393.38mg
Total Carbohydrates - 25.09g
Fiber - 4.85g
Sugar - 2.49g
Protein - 11.95g

Comments:

Prior versions of this mousse used much smaller serving sizes. I was previously using servings that were what I would eat. However, since my husband is normally the one that eats the mousse I decided to use “husband sized” servings. I think this dessert is too rich to eat an entire serving as listed, but my husband vehemently disagrees.

Eat serving of the tofu chocolate mousse contains more than 130mg of calcium.

If you like nuts with your chocolate you can add some chopped nuts or sugared nuts or nut brittle on top this mousse. I have also added candy sprinkles (white chocolate) on top the mousse. Any topping should be added just before serving.

If children will be eating this mousse substitute brewed coffee for the alcohol. The coffee flavor will intensify the chocolate but you won’t be able to identify the coffee in the final product.

Update:

There was much trepidation before the first bite. Deirdre put it off as long as she could. And …. her reaction after the first the taste and I quote “Alicia, this is freaking awesome”. Need I say more? I couldn’t imagine a more glowing reaction to the tofu mousse from a self-proclaimed tofu hater.

Deirdre, next time we are tackling hummus! We had a great time tonight we need to schedule another dinner again soon. We both enjoyed meeting Rob, he is as nice and adorable as I expected.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia,

    That chocolate mousse looks so yummy and it sounds so good with reduced sugar version, I know for sure Nathan and his dad would LOVE to have some, I'm not a fan of this kind of dessert but they both really are!

    Can't wait to hear what your friend, Deirdre says about this wonderful dessert!

    p.s. I'll come back to read all your older posts later tonight, I have to do errands:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Oraphan,

    I am so glad you had time to stop by. I hope that means things are less hectic for you today.

    The mousse was big hit tonight! I think your hubby will like it, it is Dan's favorite dessert.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely give this recipe a try when I have all the ingredients.

    p.s. I've been very busy at work and at home, I'm trying to get organized and ready for the holiday. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with blogging, it takes so much time from me and my family. Talk to you soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oraphan,

    Deirdre is the most recent in a long line of tofu haters that like this mousse. It really is shockingly good. Try one of the my early versions for your husband that uses all agave. It is sweeter and I think more likely he and your son will like it.

    Sorry to hear you have been busy, unless it is good busy that is. I love Christmas so that is good busy to me. Blogging does take a lot of work, I understand.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just made a tofu pudding type thing. its not bad, im going to try some more variations. mine was extremely simple but i think id like it more if i used some of your ideas.
    let ya know:)
    m

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle,

    My tofu chocolate mousse has been universally loved so far. Every single person that has tried it has loved it and most now make it at home. And none of my friends are vegetarians, let alone vegans, so that should tell you something. Can't wait to hear what you think.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails