Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Flaxseed Oil is Good for Diabetic and Older Women



According to this abstract flaxseed oil has a beneficial effect on bone mineral density for both diabetic and older women.

Working in healthcare for so long I saw many older people that were hospitalized as a result of falls, and quite often they would die. It always seemed to me that older women were much more likely to be admitted for this reason. Osteoporosis in general is more common in women, due I believe to a small frame and less exercise that promotes bone growth (strength training). However, if adding a little flaxseed to my diet can help avoid bone fractures as I age, I willing to give it a try.

Flaxseed oil is high in omega 3, and is something that I have been consuming only because it is good for me. I will admit I don’t love the taste yet, and can’t manage it straight. However, if I use it 50/50 with canola or olive oil in salad dressing I find it acceptable. I am trying to work up to using it straight, but don’t really think that will happen any time soon.

If you decide to try flaxseed oil don’t heat it. It is meant to be used cold. Also, be certain to keep it in the refrigerator, it goes bad quickly. At our local stores they sell it in the refrigerated case near the miso.

7 comments:

  1. I don't find the flaxseed oil to have a bad flavor at all...but I do mix it with olive oil on salad, in case my husband gets picky about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Are you buying a different brand of flaxseed oil? If so, please tell me what it is. I want to like the stuff, but there is something about it that really doesn't work for me.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy Barlean's brand. I don't have the most acute sense of smell, so maybe that's why I'm less sensitive to the flavor... but to me, it just tastes slightly nutty.

    http://www.barleans.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look for this brand the next time I get to store.

    I hope sense of smell isn't the problem for me but we will see. You could be on to something though as I am one of those people that can pick up subtle notes in wine.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you definitely have a much more developed sense of smell than I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flaxseed oil is a great source of omega 3 fatty acids. I like to mix it into my protein shakes and fruit smoothies. I also like to use fish oils as I think they contain higher levels of EPA and DHA, compared to flaxseed oil. Krill oil is another great source of omega 3 fatty acids, as well as supplying phospholipids and antioxidants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. healthy-oil-guy,

    I hadn't thought of flaxseed oil in my smoothies since I use ground flaxseed in mine. Interesting idea though. Maybe I will try adding some to my vegetable juice.

    Are you at all concerned with the pollutants that may be in fish oil? I have read that krill oil contains less since it is a smaller fish. I find science fascinating but don't think most vegans that read my blog are open to the idea of fish oil.

    thanks so much for your input and another point of view,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails