Monday, November 9, 2009

Caramelized Onion, Shitake and Marsala Seitan and Potato Topping


(pictured: beefy seitan, broccoli and potato topped with onion, shitake and marsala)

Tonight ended up being a little more hectic than I expected. I had to run out of the house for about an hour and half just before dinner. Sometimes thing happen people need you and you just need to go. By the time we got home it was almost 9 pm and both the hubby and I were starving. Thankfully I had made the beefy seitan today so that I could make a quick dinner.

I tossed a couple of Yukon gold potatoes in the microwave while I cut half an onion thinly put it into a pan to start the sauce. While the onions cooked I cleaned the shitakes and cut the broccoli into thin spears. When the potatoes came out of the microwave I put the broccoli into the microwave. Then I added the rest of the sauce ingredients to the pan. The beefy seitan cutlets went into the microwave when the broccoli came out. I cut the potatoes and plated them and the broccoli. Seitan was plated a few minutes later. Next I topped the potatoes and seitan with the sauce and dinner was ready in about 15 minutes. This is exactly why I like to keep seitan on hand. It makes dinner quick when it is necessary. When the day started I didn’t know I would need to run out this evening, but things happen to all of us that we don’t expect. On those days I rely on these quick meals.

The onion, mushroom and Marsala topping took an otherwise not so interesting meal and made it something special. This is a topping I used to make for steak so it seemed natural on today’s beefy seitan. Here is what I made.

Caramelized Onion, Shitake and Marsala Seitan and PotatoTopping
Serves 2

Ingredients:

½ red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
¼ cup water to water sauté the onions
½ pound fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
½ cup dry Marsala (fortified Sicilian wine)
½ tablespoon Earth Balance

Directions:

Heat a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Water sauté the onions and garlic until soft and beginning to brown. Add the mushrooms and Marsala and cook until the mushrooms are soft and the Marsala has reduced by half. Add the Earth Balance and stir to coat all the vegetables.

Use this sauce to top the beefy seitan, baked potatoes, or any grain.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 97.19
Calories From Fat (23%) - 22.69

Total Fat - 2.51g
Saturated Fat - 0.71g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 27.44mg
Potassium - 175.88mg
Total Carbohydrates - 7.68g
Fiber - 2.08g
Sugar - 1.2g
Protein - 1.65g

Comments:

My husband thought this was a really good “meat and potatoes” meal. I think the sauce played a large part in that. Of course the beefy cutlets were also a factor. Both Dan and I agree that the beefy seitan is my best seitan yet. When he walked in the door tonight the first thing he said is “it smells like beef in here”.

I am going to be making more of my favorite old steak topping now that I have a good beefy seitan that will only be made better by a nice sauce or topping.

It is time to relax now and finish a book I am reading and drink my last mug of green tea tonight. I hope you all have a great evening.

8 comments:

  1. Mmm, shitakes, seitan, potatoes, broccoli? Sounds soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,

    I'm really impressed with this quick dinner. It sounds so amazing that it took you only about 15 minutes to prepare this fantastic meal. Now you've inspired me to make some of this beefy seitan because I'll be very busy working more hours during this coming holiday season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle (blessedmama),

    Thanks! :)

    Oraphan,

    Quick cooking is all about timing. I tend to use either potatoes or couscous in the microwave because they are fast. Seitan from the freezer is also a quick item. A sauce can be put together in under 10 minutes even if you need to caramelize onions.

    I got really good at these fast dinners when I was working, because it was a necessity. The seitan in the freezer is a huge time saver that I rely on a lot.

    If you have any questions on the seitan please feel free to ask. I am more than happy to answer any questions.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I was off for 2 days and you've got 7 new posts!
    This looks like something even my meat eating hubby would like, I'm going to give this a try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet,

    My hubby loved this one. He was raving about the beefy seitan last night. I do think it is my best seitan version yet. The mushroom, caramelized onion and marsala topping didn't hurt the flavor either.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, I'm glad hubby liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently discovered your blog, and I love it! Thank you so much for all of your posts...I am enjoying looking through them all, and there are so many recipes I can't wait to try! Thank you!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,

    Thanks! He loved it which made me very happy. He has told me at least three times that it was my best seitan yet.

    Courtney,

    Nice to meet you. Thank you so much for the compliment and comment.

    If you have any questions on specific recipes please don't hesitate to ask. I try to make my directions clear. However I write so many recipes I always worry that I leave things out.

    I apologize to you both for taking so long to moderate your comments. Today was extremely hectic with appts out of the house until a little while ago.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails