Friday, November 6, 2009

Green Tea May Prevent Oral Cancer



This morning I read this abstract regarding a Phase II clinical trial of 41 patients with oral leukoplakia, a condition that is a sign of oral cancer risk. The group was given various amounts of green tea extract or a placebo. Of those consuming the two largest amounts of the tea extract there was a positive response rate of 60%. Results like this are amazing in my opinion. Many medications don’t have a response rate that high. While the sample size was small, this study is consistent with so many other studies I don’t think it should be dismissed.

The highest amount of green consumed equated to 24 cups of green tea per day. Now, that is even too much tea for me. It does give me more incentive to continue to drink my 8+ cups of green tea each day. Do I know for certain it is helping me? No I don’t and I probably never will. However, since green tea has had so many positive results in relation to cancer prevention I don’t see any reason not to continue to drink it. I think drinking green tea is especially important for smokers and those that consume alcohol since both activities have been associated with an increase in head and neck cancers.

Don’t you just love when something so simple as relaxing with a cup of green tea can be beneficial for your health? With this positive news regarding green tea, I am going to steep cups 3 and 4 now in my giant mug. I will be back later with a recipe or two after I catch up on my email.

8 comments:

  1. I was very surprised when reading your yummy oatmeal post to see that your hubby's name is Dan. My hubby is also a Dan!

    I know how good green tea is for you, yet I can't seem to choke it down. I love herbal teas, so I think I will try diluting it with some of them until I develope a taste for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,

    My husband loves to meet other Dan's, I will definitely let him know. Do you also a Dan Jr. in your family?

    Green tea is definitely an acquired taste. At least it was for me. I didn't love it right away either. Initially I brewed it with Earl Grey 50/50 and kept reducing the Earl Grey until it was all green. We also add a little splash of pomegranate juice for flavor sometimes. Currently we are adding sliced fresh ginger to our green tea when we brew it. Mint is also good in green tea. Keep trying different additions until you find something you like. It is so ridiculously healthy it is worth trying to find a combination you find palatable. I can drink it straight now and enjoy it, but it took a while.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Jrs. here, they each have their own name.
    By the way, the kitty in your avatar is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,

    My hubby was so fond of his name he wanted to pass it on.

    Thanks for the kitty compliment. :) That is a picture of my older male feline child. His name is Massimo and he is a black smoke Turkish Angora. He is mommy's little angel.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alicia
    Just got back from a Japanese restaurant where I had a delicious green tea and dicussed with my boyfriend that more of it could and should be drunk! Nice timing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny,

    Glad my timing worked for you. If you are looking for other reasons to drink more green tea there are quite a few other posts on the topic if you search green tea in the blog.

    have a great evening,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm a green tea drinker but I can't drink 8 cups a day, just 2 or 3 a day. It makes me go to the bathroom a lot though:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oraphan,

    8 cups of green tea is a lot I know. I stopped drinking plain water so I drink green tea all day instead so that I get enough EGCG.

    I am fairly certain it is the caffeine in the tea is causing the frequent bathroom stops. My system has gotten used to it now since I drink it so often.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails