Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Salad with Apple, Walnut, and Raisin dressed with a Miso, Mirin and Nut Oil Dressing



Last night we got in so late that I knew we were going to have salad for dinner. When we eat late I think it only makes sense to have a light meal like salad.

A couple of days ago Oraphan posted a miso salad dressing that immediately sounded appealing to me. I love miso dressing when our chef friend Ian makes it, but I hadn’t used it in dressing at home myself. I didn’t actually use a recipe last night I just kept adding things to the bowl and whisking until I liked the consistency and taste. Both the hubby and I really enjoyed the salad last night. So much so that I packed it in his lunch today and also made one for myself. No wonder Oraphan had a similar salad three times last week. The dressing is really good and it is the miso that makes all the difference. Here is what I made today for my lunch.

Salad with Apple, Walnut, and Raisin dressed with a Miso, Mirin and Nut Oil Dressing
Serves 1

Ingredients:

4 cups mesclun (mixed baby greens)
2 Fuji apples, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoons walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon golden raisins
1 tablespoon white miso (white is the most mild in flavor)
1 teaspoon walnut oil
1 tablespoon mirin

Directions:

Wash lettuce and spin dry. Wash, core and chop the apples. Rough chop the nuts.

Combine the miso, oil and mirin and whisk to combine.

Toss the lettuce, apple and raisin with the dressing and serve.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 322.88
Calories From Fat (28%) - 89.5

Total Fat - 11.21g
Saturated Fat - 1.16g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 665.77mg
Potassium - 893.13mg
Total Carbohydrates - 61.7g
Fiber - 11.5g
Sugar - 35.3g
Protein - 6.42g

Comments:

If you are looking for another recipe with miso this one is fast and delicious. Both the hubby and I really enjoyed it and will be having it often. Thank you Oraphan for the inspiration.

This salad contains more than 900IU’s of vitamin A, 80mg of calcium, 140mcg of folate, and 90mg of folate.

Unrelated info:

I am leaving shortly to stop at the vet and Asian market before cooking class. I think tonight’s topic in class is Thanksgiving side dishes, but I am not positive.

Enjoy your day; I am going to enjoy mine. I will be back later with an update from class. Something tells me there will be a recipe or two that I will want to make a healthy vegan version of for Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

  1. Yummy, that's my favorite kind of meal! I've never had miso dressing before, I'll have to try it because it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love miso--can't wait to try this dressing idea!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,

    I love miso salad dressing, but normally it is made by my chef friend. Miso adds a lovely aroma and a nice thick texture to the dressing. At the moment it is my new favorite. It would be absolutely perfect if I could find a low sodium version of Miso, but I don't think such a thing exists.

    Courtney,

    Thanks. :) I hope you like it as much as we do.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I'm so glad you made this salad dressing and thank you so very much for linking me, I really appreciate it. I've never bought or used mirin, I saw it at Japanese market but I didn't pay attention. Is it some kind of vinegar? Sorry I really don't know anything about it but I would love to try your recipe.

    p.s. I brought some work to do at home tonight and I've to go to work very early tomorrow so I won't be able to finish reading your other posts. I'll come back tomorrow afternoon. Talk to you later:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to say that your salad looks absolutely amazing! And it sounds really good, can't wait to try your recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oraphan,

    Mirin is a slightly thick and sweet Japanese rice wine vinegar. I really love the flavor of it. I used it in this dressing since your version called for vinegar and sweetener so that I could use one less ingredient, and because I love the flavor.

    The hubby and I have had this dressing three times now. We both really like it. Thanks again for posting your recipe.

    Sorry you had to work from home last night. I hope you get a break soon.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Alicia! I'll add mirin to my shopping list and I'll let you know how I like it. I'm so glad you and your hubby like the dressing. I left my salad dressing jar in the fridge at work so I can have it for lunch. I've been so tired from working too much, I fell asleep last night so I got up at 4 am to price all the jewelry I brought from work and then went to work at 7 to display them. I got home at 3 pm and I went to sleep like a baby! I have to do the same thing again tonight, my boss ordered a lot of jewelry, we're getting ready for the holiday! I'll try to visit you again soon. Have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oraphan,

    Leaving the dressing in the frig at work is a great idea. Wish I had thought of it.

    Sounds like you are going to be busy for a couple of months. Hopefully you can get a break soon.

    I hope you have a great weekend too,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails