Friday, November 13, 2009

Roasted Barley Tea



I picked up this box of organic roasted barley tea bags from the Asian market on Wednesday. Since the majority of the box is written in Japanese, I have no idea what is says including how to use it. I decided to make it hot, like traditional tea or coffee since it smelled a little like roasted coffee in the bag.

This tea has an aroma that is similar to coffee. The flavor is very mild and tastes great black. Once I tried it I decided to do a little research on the tea. Apparently it is normally drunk cold in Japan. However, I think it makes a wonderful warm beverage.

I tried to find a calorie count on this beverage and it is given as anywhere between 0 and 30 on the web. Since you are just soaking roasted barley in water I think it is probably closer to zero like tea or coffee. Either way it doesn’t contain many calories.

Here is an interesting link to barley tea and other teas. It gives a recipe for making your own barley tea, which looks incredibly simple if you are interesting in giving it a try. When I give the homemade version a try I will let you know how it works.

I am really pleasantly surprised by the lovely mild flavor and aroma of roasted barley tea. It is reminiscent of coffee but without the bitter back notes. If are trying to give up coffee but want something similar this beverage may be for you.

When I am at cooking class next week I will check with my Japanese friend Reiko and find out how this beverage is typically flavored and served. I think it is great hot and black but she may have other ideas for how to enhance the taste. What ever I find out I will be sharing with you all.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds good. It brings barley water to mind, which is a healthful drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    When you get a chance I would love to hear more about barley water. That is something I haven't heard of before.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's basically water drained from boiled barley and poured over lemon rind & lemon juice and sweetened with honey or sugar.

    It's considered good for the health because of the fiber in the water and refreshing from the lemon. It's a traditional drink in England.

    If you're feeling cheeky, you can add a bit of gin;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Thanks! Great description I think I could make it from your comment.

    I love gin. :) I have been a Boodles martini girl since college.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like gin too, though rarely drink it. The last time I had some was a couple years ago when we were visiting my brother in Oregon. He buys Hendrick's; it was quite yummy infused with rose petal and cucumber...actually now that you've brought it to mind...I may just have to get some for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    We decided to cut out drinking due to the negative health impact. But .... I also used to like Hendrick's. A few years ago we had a gin tasting and people were split on Boodles versus Hendricks, with Bombay Saphire coming in a distant third.

    I love the idea of rose and cucumber with gin. That sounds like a great combination. Sounds like a great thing to have for the holidays.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in Argentina there is a roasted barley drink that's drunk as a healthy alternative to coffee. Most coffee Argentines prepare at home is the instant variety, and the barley drink is very similar (freeze-dried? Just add hot water).

    Nestle makes the most common version, sold aside their Nescafe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PaganAngel,

    Thanks for the input. Here in the US we have a product called Teeccino that is a chickory and barley based coffee subtitute. However, just roasted barley like what I bought I have only seen at Asian markets in the states which is why posted this. Now that I know there is an instant version I will see if they sell at at the Asian market as well. Thanks for the tip.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting post! Thanks so much for the link to barley tea and other teas. Can't wait to check it out when I go to Asian market:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oraphan,

    Thanks. I am glad you thought it was interesting. I was surprised by how much I liked the roasted barley tea. We talked about it tonight over dinner and our Egytian friend wants to try it now too. If you like the smell of coffee but want something that is caffeine free this is a nice option.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. The writng on the box is actually Korean and the tea is known as boricha and mugicha in Japanese. In Japan, it's generally drank cold but it can be served hot as well. The darker othe roast, the closer the beverage resembles coffee. Btw it has something like 14 % rda of fiber per serving. It was one of my favorite summer time drinks wheni was in Tokyo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bill,

    Thanks for the clarification. All I knew was that is was written in a language I couldn't read and I guessed it was Japanese.

    It is good stuff, I like cold and hot. I hope you can find it locally where you are now.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails