Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Menu

I wanted to post this earlier but I was still adding and subtracting recipes. At the moment this is what I am making for Thursday:

Thanksgiving Menu 2009

Appetizers

Warm Marinated Olives with Fennel and Orange

Cremini Mushrooms Stuffed with Pesto Flavored Millet or Quinoa

Roasted Root Vegetable Salad over Arugula with Balsamic Glaze

Entrees

Roasted Turkey with Gravy – for the omnis

Seitan Cutlets with Sage – for the veggies

Sides

Whole Wheat Bread Stuffing with Apple, Onion and Sage

Mashed Potato and Cauliflower with Caramelized Garlic

Sauerkraut with Apple and Onion

Butternut Squash with Spinach, Cranberries and Walnuts

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts

Cranberry and Citrus Sauce

Dessert

Cranberry Granita

I have whole wheat bread dough rising now for the breadcrumbs for the stuffing and for the seitan. I will be cooking most of today and tomorrow to get ahead of the game. Individual recipes will be posted here, as they are finished.

My cooking tends to be very freeform and changes often mid stream. I am going to try to stick with my menu as posted, but please don’t be surprised if one of two recipes change mid stream.

With the exception of the turkey and gravy that the omnivore members of the family think de rigueur all the recipes for Thursday will be vegan, low fat and low sugar (agave or stevia only no white sugar). There will all be no white flour on the table. We will see how well this type of cooking goes over for a holiday meal. Wish me luck, I think I may need it. It is a rough crowd at our house for holidays, and expectations are high.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. I am off to the kitchen now to get things going.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you are industrious! I'm doing zero cooking this year since we'll be visiting my potential future in-laws in another state, and they told us not to bother. They're making vegetarian things for us, and since I'm only vegan about 80% of the time, I'll just eat what they have for us. I am bringing some vegan cookies to snack on, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigid,

    I wish I was you! But, since I am the cook in the family I am always the one that makes the holiday meals.

    Have fun with the potential future in-laws. Wow, that is a mouthful. That is very nice of them to make vegetarian things for you. They sound nice, at the very least they are certainly accomodating.

    have a great holiday,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a feast. Everything sounds great to me (except the turkey of course).

    Everything on our table will be vegan this year as my brother isn't coming up from Oregon and it will just be me, my mom, and John.

    My mom often eats vegetarian meals, and excited about my vegan entree of a squash and leek stack...it should be fun.

    We'll all be super busy over the next few days, but hope to touch base at some point.

    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose,

    Thanks so much! Some of the dishes are new in that I just dreamed them up. They should be fine. I know I shouldn't play around with food on national holidays but I have never been one to play it safe.

    Sorry your brother isn't coming, but it is nice that you will have a veggie holiday. I wish we were but my mother insisted on turkey and gravy. My father was fine with an all veggie meal. Just the opposite of what you would expect.

    I can't wait to hear all about your veggie stack. Did you do a test run yet?

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. No test run...I'm like you; I like a little risk and adventure.

    I've decided to go with a layer of cannelini beans and porcini mushrooms on top of the squash, and then just fanning leeks out over the top.

    I hope it turns out photo-worthy, but I'll post it even it comes out sloppy...what the heck...it will still taste good.

    I'm really in the holiday mood too...my boss is out of town and I just can't seem to focus on work around here...just another two days, then four days of freedom...yaay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose,

    We are too much alike.

    I like the idea of beans and mushrooms. Are you going to make a thick bean puree or leave the beans whole? Please do post the final recipe and results I can't wait to see it.

    I am totally in holiday mode too. I can't wait for the long weekend either. Plus at our house the day after Thanksgiving means we get Christmas decorations up. I am like a kid I like to start right after we finish cleaning up from Thanksgiving dinner. However, we will probably wait until Friday. ;) maybe....

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great! And time-consuming, I can't wait to see the recipes posted. And I'm impressed with your accomodations of the omnis, I don't know many (any!) vegans who would go there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PaganAngel,

    It may be easier for me to accomodate the omnis because we are vegan for health reasons. While I completely believe that a vegan diet that is low sugar and low fat is healthier, I also accept that most people don't agree with me. Sometimes it is easier to just acknowledge that we don't agree and move on. If it makes them happy to have unhealthy food for Thanksgiving that is up to them. I will disinfect my kitchen as I cook. It is going to be a pain but I think I can do it. If it is too tough this may be the last holiday where I am this accomodating.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a FEAST! I'm so late in commenting that I can ask whether you did make all that in the end! Either way, hope your THanksgiving was wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ricki,

    Thanks! :) Yes, I did make all the dishes, or a minor modification of what I had planned. It was a bit much, and I was exhausted last night after it was all over. But everyone enjoyed the food, and that is what Thanksgiving is all about, so it was all good.

    I would say I hope you had a good Thanksgiving but I know you are in Canada and your holiday was a while ago.

    I hope you have a great weekend,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails