Saturday, November 21, 2009

Broccoli, Potato, and Onion Frittata on a bed of Tomato Sauce



Dinner last night with Deirdre and Rob was great. We always have fun when we get together with Deirdre and her new friend Rob is adorable and extremely personable. It was like we had known him for years.

There was a little vino last night and my head is not quite right this morning. I always know I am going to pay the price for drinking wine the next day but it tastes so good going down. We had both a nice Brunello and a Roija Gran Riserva last night. Both bottles were a 2001 vintage and were smooth and very drinkable…hence the headache this morning.

Ian made a very interesting green quinoa for us last night. I loved the bright green color (sorry I didn’t take any photos). We had a little chat with him last night before he left the restaurant and since I know how he made it, I may make my version of his recipe sometime in the coming week.

Today is a going to be a bit of a marathon-cooking day at my house. My hubby is going to go downtown to his office to work before dinner tonight. When he does this I always end up spending more time in the kitchen partly due to boredom and partly due to do the fact that I want him to have a nice dinner since he worked on his day off.

This morning when I got up I felt a little off. I had a touch of a headache and just overall felt a little sluggish. Having wine last night with dinner had to the culprit for how I felt this morning. I knew immediately that I should make something with cruciferous vegetables this morning to help both our livers detoxify the evening’s festivities. So this morning I made a tofu frittata with broccoli, potato and onion. I served the slices of frittata on a bed of simple tomato sauce. Broccoli and tomatoes when consumed together make the nutrition of each more bioavailable so I always try to have them together. Here is what I made us for breakfast this morning.

Broccoli, Potato, and Onion Frittata on a bed of Tomato Sauce
Makes 2 large servings:

Frittata Ingredients:

2 large Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and pierced with a paring knife
½ red onion, peeled and finely diced
2 tablespoon water to sauté onions
4 cups frozen broccoli florets
12.3 ounce package of organic silken tofu, firm
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion flakes
1 pinch kosher salt
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Tomato Sauce Ingredients:

15 ounce can of tomato sauce, no salt added
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion flakes

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Microwave the potatoes until they are tender. I started with 5 minutes in the microwave and it was enough time. When the potatoes have cooled enough to handle cut them into bite sized pieces and set them aside to cool.

While the potatoes are cooking water sauté the onion in the water until soft. Then turn off the heat and allow the onion to cool.

Microwave the broccoli florets until warm. Allow them to cool until you can handle them. Cut each floret into quarters to make them easy to eat and distribute throughout.

In your food processor, or blender, combine the silken tofu, flour, cornstarch, turmeric, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion flakes. Process until the ingredients are well combined.

Combine the tofu mixture, potatoes, onions, and broccoli and toss to combine all the ingredients. Lightly coat a heavy bottomed pan with canola or olive oil. Pour the frittata mixture into the skillet and pat it into an even layer.

Place the pan over a medium low heat for a few minutes to crisp the bottom of the frittata. Now place the pan in the preheated oven and cook until the frittata is set in the middle. Exactly how long this will take will depend on your oven. Mine was ready in 15 minutes.

While the frittata is baking make the tomato sauce. Combine the tomato, onion and garlic and simmer for at least 10 minutes so the flavors will combine.

To serve, I place a pool of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the plate and top with slices of the frittata.

The frittata is good hot, warm or cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 445.15
Calories From Fat (12%) - 53.27

Total Fat - 5.95g
Saturated Fat - 0.92g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 282.73mg
Potassium - 2348.4mg
Total Carbohydrates - 77.22g
Fiber - 8.12g
Sugar - 13.22g
Protein - 23.86g

Comments:

This is a very filling breakfast. It is a man friendly meal. I love to eat things like this when the weather is cool, like this morning. It may be psychosomatic but about an hour after breakfast I was feeling much better.

Nutritionally this breakfast is no slouch. Each serving of this frittata, with sauce contains more than 5,100IU of vitamin A, 190 of vitamin C, 180mg of calcium, 160cg of folate, 430 mg of phosphorus, 160mg of magnesium and 9mcg of selenium.

Something tells me lunch is going to be a salad today. I don’t normally eat such a hearty breakfast I don’t expect to be very hungry at lunchtime.

Time for me to get myself moving and get into the kitchen and figure out what I will be making for dinner tonight. As usual the parents will be having dinner with us tonight. This always makes dinner a little more “traditional” than what the hubby and I would have if it were just us. As you can tell, I have no idea what I am making so I really need to go. I will definitely be back later today with a few recipes. I hope you all have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    Yay! I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you. If I can make it half awake (and I am really not a morning person) I think it is pretty easy. This is my vegan take on a dish I used to make with eggs.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy and authentic...a good "hangover" meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    It was great hangover meal. I hope the next time I am "feeling a little under the weather" I remember to make something similar.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds so good. Is it really a hangover meal? I don't drink alcohol though, maybe I'll try it when I have a headache:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oraphan,

    This is good headache or not. It is my vegan variation of a standard Italian recipe.

    Good for you not drinking alcohol. This morning I was very sorry I did. I would be much healthier if I gave up the wine completely!

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I officially love your blog, this looks amazing, cant wait to try it *runs to see if I have the ingredients for tonight*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dani,

    Thanks! :) I am so glad you are enjoying my recipes. Thanks so much for letting me know. If you ever have any question please feel free to ask. I type them so quickly I am always a little worried my instructions are not clear enough.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails