Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Another Few Reasons to Eat Your Walnuts



Consuming 56 grams of walnuts if you are a middle aged diabetic improves the health of blood vessels according to a study published in Diabetes Care and abstracted here. Other studies have shown health benefits associated with the consumption of almonds, macadamia and pistachios. This is part of the reason I include a variety of nuts in many of our daily salads.

According to an article published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (May 2009) walnuts were more effective at lowering cholesterol than fish oil. If you have high cholesterol you might want to try adding a few walnuts (or walnut butter) to your meals. It can’t hurt you and it may help.

Additionally a study published in 2006 showed that mice that consumed the human equivalent of 1 ounce of walnuts per day had cancer tumor growth that was 50% less than the mice not fed ground walnuts. When I read this earlier this year in the abstracts posted at the American Association of Cancer Research that was when I started making walnut butter and including it in our daily diet.

I hope you all have a great day, and consider adding some walnuts to your diet. I am off to make more walnut butter but I will be back soon with another variation of kale chips and curried squash seeds.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this info, Alicia. I LOVE walnuts, I always have a bag or two in my cupboard for snack or on top of salads.

    I'll share this info with my brother who has diabetic and my husband who has high blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oraphan,

    We love walnuts too particularly on green salads that include fruit. That is my favorite way to use them. They seem to help me stay full longer (another bonus).

    Sorry to hear about your brother and husband. Any chance you can get either of them to adopt a predominantly whole foods diet and add a little moderate exercise (like walking)? Doing that help to reduce my husband’s high blood pressure and it is also suppose to be good for diabetics.

    Thanks again for the blog awards. It was very sweet of you. Now I need to figure out whom I am sharing them with. That will definitely take me a few days.

    Talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all kinds of nuts and keep a variety of raw nuts in my freezer at all times. My daughter just got a job at a fast food place and likes to take nuts and fruit with her to eat on her break. Thank goodness she's not tempted to eat the crap they serve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,

    Nuts are the best aren't they? I always have a lot of different nuts in my freezer too. Although as quickly as we eat them I am probably being too cautious.

    How fabulous that your daughter takes nuts and fruit with her to work instead of eating the fast food. Sounds like your kids understand nutrition. What a wonderful gift you gave them at a young age! :)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Alicia, but only 3 of my 4 kids eat well. The middle son has terrible eating habits that he developed once he got a job and a car and could buy his own fast food. You can only do so much, at some point they all make their own decisions. I just keep hoping once he grows up a little more he will remember the things I've tried to teach him and take better care of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet,

    I think your son will come around. When people are young they seem to feel invincible. Give him a few more years to grow up. They all mature, eventually.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails